Thread: Amix in WinUAE
View Single Post
Old 09 August 2013, 20:09   #82
Noth

I've tested all three available tape archives ( 2.01 2.03 & 2.1 ) by simply unarchiving to a directory, doing a ls -1 > index.tape in that dir, then booting the relevant boot + root floppies and following the instructions, always with the same 950M HDF. Here are the results:

2.01: install gets to the point of extracting packages but cpio dies when dearchiving "Public domain utilities". Complains about a bad header, which I guess means it's a gzipped cpio but not announced as such in List. It does continue on to the end though, and patches the kernel with the boot files before writing it to c6d0s3 boot partition. This gives you a fully working basic AMIX install.

The tape archive is made of cpio packages that actually have names, unlike the 2.03 & 2.1 ones.

2.03: same as 2.01 but dies at "Networking commands & demons". Does complete install to give a working installation.

2.1: install script gets to the point where it needs to read the package list on the tape and barfs complaining that it can't open the List file.

So what does all this mean? Either the install script is rubbish at it's work, or the tape dumps we have are screwy (the fact that amigaunix.com's tiki was non-working for a week may have something to do with it). Or it's WinUAE.

Toni, this obligation of having the list.cpio and core.cpio as the first two entries certainly appears needed in 2.01 but 2.03 manages to install with packages just named 00.cpio, 01.cpio, etc... So what's final answer do you think?

I do know, because I've done it, that renaming the various packages in the 2.1 tape extract to relevant according to the List file (cpio -icdmu < 00 will produce this file, and it's 00.cpio for 2.03 and list.cpio for 2.01) will let the installer go a fair way along. The BIG issue is that this is guess work since there are more packages in the tape archive than listed in List! The ultimate thing to do of course is to manually cpio / gunzip & cpio each archive to know which is which. That takes a while but it looks like the only valid path. I'll give it a go tonight (doesn't have to be done in AMIX, luckily). I can also post the winuaelogs if necessary.

I'm going to contact Failure on amiga.org's forum to see if he can md5 check the tape archives so we can try and isolate the fault here.

Page generated in 0.05593 seconds with 11 queries