View Single Post
Old 16 May 2017, 16:36   #88
Amiga1992

I think it's a design choice and he probably has reason to have done so.
Again I haven't seen this game on a CPC, but if for example, you can't keep vertical scrolling as smooth and quick as the original game, it would be best not to scroll that much, in which case showing a larger playfield would achieve that goal.
It could also have to do with having less bitmap information, from the screenshots you can see the graphics have been redrawn to be smaller (what a ton of work!). If you had 1:1 graphics, this viewport would not work.

Again these are just my assumptions, I'm sure Rhino will tell me I am wrong and maybe he can explain more details (or not). Personally I don't care about these compromises, it seems to me like they were necessary for the game to keep the essence in the lower spec'd platform. I Wouldn't define Pinball Fantasies by how the table is displayed, in which kind of viewport, but rather on how the game feels like playing, the ball mechanics, and the design of the boards.

The C64 had a port 11 years ago that was never finished (sadly!) and it kept its viewport closer to the original game. Actually, it's a lot smaller, but you can see that the scroll keeps up and it works. Of course other compromises had to be taken, and in this early preview, ball physics aren't that spot on, but well, we will never know how this game would have turned out :
[ Show youtube player ]

Page generated in 0.07565 seconds with 11 queries