View Single Post
Old 20 March 2018, 17:19   #21
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
CDTV and CD32 games should have been the equivalent of the PC CDROM games for the A500 and the A1200 (or MegaCD games for the MD).

Instead, most of the games were indeed direct shovelware with no improvement at all.
Commodore should have commercialized CDROM drives for Amiga computers users first, then release eventually an all in one CD solution. They did release A570 but it was far too late (and I don't even speak of the CD1200).

But what would have been the point of buying an A570 to have the exact same game that you had on a basic A500 (same thing for the CD1200) ?

I remember an interview of David Pleasance saying to Amiga users not to buy the A1200 because the CD32 was a better machine.
Alot of early PC CD games are just disk versions on CD too, same could be said for PC Engine CD games, bar the odd CD soundtrack there was nothing that couldnt be done on card.
CD drives failed i.e the A570 because it was too expensive, which wasnt Commodores fault as PC drives were just as costly, and Amigas on average were £300, people didnt want to spend another £300 on a cd drive that didnt have a killer game, and there wasnt enough desktop owners buying games to bother making a desktop drive.

But back to the point for those who did buy one, cd audio, cdxl video, no disk swapping, multimedia disks and thousands of pd, demos on 1 disk for £20 instead of £1 per floppy, there were lots of reasons, but the high price put off consumers and hence developers were put off.

Page generated in 0.09664 seconds with 11 queries