View Single Post
Old 17 February 2017, 20:36   #84
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebbo View Post
I wish there were AROS for the m68k, but there isn't.
you really dont know that there actually is aros68k ? i even posted a comparison binary results compiled with it (6.1.0) somewhere further above.

Quote:
The problems with gcc/binutils are:

1. m68k Amiga register usages: A6 as library base, A5 as frame pointer, A4 as data segment ref.
afaik, on aros this is taken care by a set of macros, similarly/interchengable like with sdi includes. functions that need parametrizing must of course follow certain syntax.

Quote:
2. The amiga hunk file format
aros binaries are compiled as elf since aros executes both formats and elf is the currently default binary format produced ba the compiler. however aros68k binaries are subsequently converted to hunk with elf2hunk utility while preparing distfiles, and runnable on aos, as long as they dont depend on specific aros libs.

Quote:
3. fast ram / chip ram
its being taken by the usual memory definition macros (MEMF_FAST and the like).

Quote:
4. special stuff like resident
dont know details, but must be handled somehow, the kickstart image works after all.

Quote:
And gcc changed a lot from 3.4.* to 4.0.0. Porting the changes to 4.0.0 is the same effort as porting them to gcc-6, so I started with gcc-6.

Bebbo
yes. thats understandable. btw for reference, except 3.4.x from zerohero there is 4.5.x from bernd rosch on amiga.sf. aros is currently still using 4.6.4 as default and 6.3.0 optionally. btw aros build system is to a certain extent ready for different further compiler options, like llvm/clang and lately some support for linking stage optimization has been introduced. also usage of vbcc/vasm has been evaluated already some time ago, but hasnt delivered expected advantage, so put on hold. toni btw, is much better informed in the matter, assistance needed, since he is/was one of the maintainers.

Page generated in 0.06209 seconds with 11 queries