View Single Post
Old 26 December 2016, 21:31   #10
chb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
When doing 12 bit color on an AGA Copper chunky screen you are using the same circuit that allows the 2 bank switch commands between the even bits and odd bits for the color register writes. If the Copper were the same speed as ECS it would take about 6 rows of pixels to update a 256 entry of true color palette entries.
I don't fully understand what you are saying... on AGA,color bank and upper/lower bits are selected by writing to bplcon3. I do not see how this can speed up the copper writes?

On AGA you get approx. 57 color changes per line (a bit less, because you need to write to bplcon3 also), so you can e.g. change ~110 colors in two scanlines, giving you a 3x2 copper chunky. I've never seen something better than fullscreen 3x2 copper chunky, could you give an example of such an effect or game?

On OCS, using 4bpl mode and sprites, you could do 4x1 with ~55 or so pixels per line. Less usefull indeed, but that's not because of the copper speed - you just have less color registers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
If the Copper were the same speed as ECS it would take about 6 rows of pixels to update a 256 entry of true color palette entries.
Yes, and it indeed takes that long. Until I'm completely mistaken, copper is the same on OCS and AGA.

EDIT: Tony beat me.

Page generated in 0.04357 seconds with 11 queries