View Single Post
Old 17 June 2010, 20:32   #332
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Yuck ! Tables.
Indeed! They're only needed when you need true random, as in radio static anyway.
Quote:
My random generator is based on a generated seed reading timers, and then it reads other timers, mixes things with a classical formula and gives a result.
Sounds good What my algorithm does is actually not random generation, but ensuring a sequence of numbers only has unique numbers. In a games where aspects of battles are randomized, you may want to ensure fairness, and that's where algorithms like mine come in handy.
Quote:
Frankly you can hardly find a flaw in it. It's more random than real dice !
No, it's absolutely not more random than dice and is infact not random at all, unless the source for the numbers is random, and that's probably not the case with Amigas. If you want true random, then you need a table. Sucks, but for many (most? all?) games highly irrelevant.
Quote:
PPaint won't do this if i don't want it to ;-)
Sounds like a nice program
Quote:
Yes they can and i don't want them to heal
What if you have a boss who's a monster?
Quote:
Well, why not. But this concentrates blows on already wounded ones, and somewhat reduces playability (because more deaths for the player).
Not necessarily. It just means you have to play a smarter game. Depending on what you want, this can be good, or bad.
Quote:
They usually won't be anywhere but in the back row. Other situations are too rare to add a big ai block.
You don't need a big AI block for this.
Quote:
There are necessarily good chances it wins, else the other wouldn't flee !
It might be a trap. Lure a strong unit into your group by having it mindlessly chase you, and then easily kill it.
Quote:
Variety may be important, but it's not a good reason enough to have bloated ai.
Bloated AI isn't needed, unless you want DeepBlue quality AI Really, there's a number of things that aren't very hard and will already make the AI play a smarter game, where the most obvious of mistakes are avoided.
Quote:
Remember that the more complex an ai becomes, the slower it gets !
A complex AI probably isn't needed.

Another thing is that quite a few gamers complain about AIs being too weak. It's probably not very hard to fix at least some of those issues without ending up with some big and slow AI that does far too much anyway.

Just because an AI does a little bit more than just rush in all the time doesn't mean it has to be complicated

Page generated in 0.07916 seconds with 11 queries