View Single Post
Old 31 May 2010, 14:32   #323
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
If you mean the unit order, then this is based on the speed of the units. You don't get a turn in which you can move all your units.

This is different than in Advance Wars which is a true turn based war game. In that game each player can move all their units during their turns.
Yes i meant unit order
But in which order are units of the SAME speed moved ?

Quote:
How much work is needed for this really relies on how much the line editor has to be able to do. I want full functionality, such as text selection, cut/copy/paste/delete, undo/redo, etc.
I'm afraid i didn't do even a basic one

Quote:
I just thought it was a simple demo level where you have to find the exit, where you can't do anything else.
Yes you have to find the exit and you can't do anything else, but it's not as simple as it looks.

Quote:
It really depends on what you want exactly.
I just want indoor and outdoor gfx for a tile based game. What they are exactly is somehow irrelevant.

Quote:
Sorry I can't help you, because I don't have a generic blitting routine. All I have is a cpu blit routine that only blits 16x16 pixel aligned sprites over 16x16 pixel aligned tiles. This is for my Advance Wars port, and it works, because only one unit can move at any one time, which means I can just use hardware sprites for that.
Yeah i know, no one can help me...

Quote:
Perhaps this is not such a good example, but I had to come up with something quick Anyway, I still prefer some sort of AI that doesn't make only the simplest of decisions.

As for identifying abilities, this example is based on Fire Emblem, and in that game both the player and the AI have the ability to see unit stats, and unit inventory. This ability is a controller ability and not a unit ability. In Fire Emblem this makes it possible for both player and AI to make more informed decisions. If you're making ID abilities part of a units abilities, then you'll still need some AI for smart monsters/enemies, so that they can put their ID abilities and high intelligence to good use (really, smart units should behave like they're smart ).

And also, once a units stats are known, less smart monsters, or, say, a summoners stupid undead units, can take those stats in account once they're known. In the case of stupid summons, the summoner is smart, and controls the summons in a smart way.

In my opinion an AI which is too simple can reduce the tactical element of a turn based game, and reasonable AI means the player has to play a smarter game, and that can certainly be fun if the game is properly balanced.
You didn't have to come with something quick. You just had to give me some good example, because i don't see what can be abused in a simple approach.

You're saying about smart ai but you're not saying what it does that's different from a simple one.

Page generated in 0.07360 seconds with 11 queries