View Single Post
Old 20 December 2019, 05:01   #19
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaHope View Post
Yeah dd the drive basically. You don't even have to totally reverse-engineer the filesystem, just be able to extract the raw jpeg frames. AFAIK the PAR just uses JPEG instead of a proprietary compression scheme. It also just stores individual frames rather than any sort of complex motion-based compression, and it doesn't do audio at all so there's not interleaving of data.

For instance this tool is great for extracting from known data formats even if the filesystem isn't understood:

https://www.r-studio.com/
Interesting, I should throw testdisk at it, as it also does some deep level investigating and may be able to pull jpegs out of the image.
Edit: Testdisk couldn't decide anything was on it.

Side note: I got my PAR working with the drive that came with it from the eBay auction for it. It's an 8GB drive (so the question elsewhere about what the limit is, it's at least 8GB). This one had a capture from the menu of Spider-man (I believe it was the original one with Toby McGuire).
When I tried using the Gnome Disk utility to restore the 4.0GB image the first time, bits of Spider-Man were still on the drive. So I wiped it with the PAR utility, and then imaged it again and it found... NOTHING!
Then I wiped it again and tried the 1.4gb hdf image... the one that should have had the Titanic stuff on it, but again nothing showed up.

@Starglider 2
How did you image these? I'm going to write the image I made back and make sure that's even working.... I did open up the Hex editor that's built into the PAR test software (which I made ADFs of) and it looked like it had some headers and such on the drive. So that'd be a start in figuring out the format.

Also, it's a shame you can't use the PAR as a standard IDE interface for the Amiga, it's fairly fast at 7MB/s I think my Ultra SCSI on my CSPPC only goes about 9MB/s

Last edited by slaapliedje; 20 December 2019 at 06:11.

Page generated in 0.09280 seconds with 11 queries