Thread: Next gen Amiga
View Single Post
Old 26 May 2018, 09:28   #597
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorf View Post
sophisticated branch prediction takes a lot of space - hints in the code could render this irrelevant
I heard IBM Power did that in the past, and the hint bit is now ignored because ordinary branch prediction works better.
Hints in the code also take space, btw. Encoding space is valuable and there are better uses for it.

Quote:
think of nested loops and the effort it takes to analyze them - again hints could be very useful here
What kind of analyze ?

Quote:
no - that is why we need that information from the coder.
What information ? This is wholly unclear.

Quote:
it should provide the opposite: enough hints and clarity to allow AOT binary2binary translation into any target.
If implementation is visible in the instruction set, then this makes next implementation problematic if it does it differently.
If one day we get a nice asic, these emulation hints will look ridiculously useless.
I've said that somewhere before, but don't forget that architectures persist longer than implementations.

Quote:
(And no: I have not the slightest clue how to do this - apparently nobody does.)
Hints given to some machine to build some program are called code. Thus "enough hints" is like performing the conversion yourself.

Page generated in 0.04824 seconds with 11 queries