View Single Post
Old 18 December 2009, 15:06   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Unfortunately some LCD TVs flip out and blank the screen when a non-interlaced signal goes into them through S-Video, so they're useless for Amiga games.
I hear what you're saying but most Amiga's do not have S-Video output. LCDTV's are usually tested to work with video games consoles such as the PSOne which output non-interlaced signals.

I cannot say I have tried every LCDTV on the market but I have tried a good few and using RGB SCART (correctly wired) they have all worked for me. Just one or two have the flickering (I think they try to display non-interlaced pictures as interlaced, ignoring the field flag).

I realise that in Europe we are lucky to have SCART and US and Oz sometimes miss out.

Quote:
Also, 16:9 TVs usually have controls for switching to 4:3 mode, as well as useful zooming modes that make Amiga games fill the screen, so there's no need to avoid them.
Surely there is? On a 17" 16:9 LCDTV, 4:3 mode is a big reduction in pixel area vs a 17" 4:3 LCDTV.

Quote:
Theres quite a few games that are almost widescreen and look great on the zoom!
Won't zoom corrupt the aspect ratio giving the games an un-natural look?

I guess that is Stretch not Zoom?

But don't you loose the edges? Hmm maybe not. I guess if the game has black borders at the top and bottom in PAL 4:3 you are right, it probably looks good in Zoom on 16:9 TV. Hmmm there are quite a lot of PAL games like this I seem to remember... ok so you are probably right may it aint so bad

Quote:
I've taken my CD32 down to the TV shop and tested it on a lot of them
Cammy gives some good advice about testing. If you are going to buy one. Ask if you can bring it back and exchange it for a different model or refund if it does not work with your equipment.

Last edited by alexh; 18 December 2009 at 15:18.

Page generated in 0.04311 seconds with 11 queries