View Single Post
Old 10 July 2005, 16:32   #18
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
The thing is younger people from my perspective do not invest the time to do proper coding on older platforms, while the people who had knowledge of them are now much older with families and don't have the time. The homebrew stuff I see are console related (porting games to the dreamcast as an example). There are exceptions to everything and I am sure a few decent games will come out now and then.

Another thing is when I grew up computers were new and cool so people liked to try coding (I made some stuff for my Timex 2068). These days with the dotcom implosion and outsourcing kids are steered away from programming in general, its not cool anymore.
I don't disagree with your comments. Younger people today seem to be more interested in tinkering with the hardware side of things (e.g. overclocking CPUs etc.) than coding, if they even bother to try and look under the hood as it were. However, I still think that homebrew retro coders will always be produced in significant numbers in European countries as opposed to anywhere else. I'm not sure why that is. Perhaps the cold weather is more conducive to it, or they have a more morbid fascination with discovering the inner workings of computers via coding. Dunno....not really sure. I just hope they continue to produce homebrew games and utilities in force!

@GrahamHumphrey
Great to see young guys like you motivated to code for the retro platforms....even if it only ends up being for your own enjoyment!

What an interesting thread this is turning out to be.

Page generated in 0.08414 seconds with 11 queries