View Single Post
Old 28 October 2019, 11:06   #6
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
You are correct in that the CPU was a 40mhz model and I agree that it was probably pushed to far and that is most likely the cause of the failure. I'm getting a 50mhz gold top chip so I'm hoping that will solve the issue and be safe at the 54mhz speed.

I've decided if I get it up and running again at 108/54mhz I'll just leave it at that with some cooling and be grateful its working. I don't want to push out to 120/60mhz and risk damaging anything further.
Glen,

It may still be worthwhile chatting to Stephen and asking if the IDE is in Sync or out of Sync. Guessing it is in Sync as there is only one timing X-Tal on the board but I'm not the guy designing the board.

I have heard of the 030 being pushed to 70Mhz & has been happy for years @ that speed, but would guess active cooling is employed.

Presuming the IDE takes it's timings from the X-Tal for the CPU (there's a divide by two counter on the card somewhere) it would be handy to know the speed limitations of the IDE Controller chip. It could be a cheap part & have a smaller tolerance than other chip brands.

Don't forget the Ram Speed too.

More Power, More Speed!

Charlie

PS - Be wary of MC68030's from China, or any I.T. component for that matter. - A lot of them are "Mickey Mouse" event's & by that I mean, "Fictitious".

Last edited by Kin Hell; 28 October 2019 at 11:37.

Page generated in 0.04568 seconds with 11 queries