View Single Post
Old 27 October 2019, 17:43   #5
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
Having over-clocked one or two things in my time with Amiga's & indeed PeeCee's, I'd be betting on the CPU being fried. Those types of CPU package are not as resilient as PGA Ceramic. (Like the ones used on the Blizzard Cards)

I believe the CPU on those cards is a 40Mhz part, (or I've only seen pre-release boards) already over-clocked to 50Mhz. Hardly surprising the extra 4Mhz was just too much to handle Cap'n! - Apologies if they now ship with 50Mhz fabrications.

When over-clocking, it isn't only down to how far the Fabrication will go, & not all fabrications do the same mileage. Surrounding components & their respective circuits also take a strain & should also be considered.

Perhaps one of the most unceremonious Over-clocking events I had the pleasure of experiencing was with a CS MKIII. I over-clocked the CPU Synchronously with the SCSI & saw some absolutely fantastic SCSI speeds @ 38Mb/sec. Unfortunately & in a very short time, the card died for frying the SCSI's Logic chip. - Cest La Vie!

Might be worth contacting Stephen Leary & asking. - Would be great to hear success again for you.
You are correct in that the CPU was a 40mhz model and I agree that it was probably pushed to far and that is most likely the cause of the failure. I'm getting a 50mhz gold top chip so I'm hoping that will solve the issue and be safe at the 54mhz speed.

I've decided if I get it up and running again at 108/54mhz I'll just leave it at that with some cooling and be grateful its working. I don't want to push out to 120/60mhz and risk damaging anything further.

Page generated in 0.04326 seconds with 11 queries