View Single Post
Old 23 May 2018, 23:54   #138
Shadowfire

I attempted to install ICAROS 2.2/native on two PC's I have here this past weekend; a Core2 Q6600 based system, and an i7-875k based system. On the Q66000 I tried both IDE and SATA hard drives; on the i7, I tried two different SATA hard drives.

Summary as follows:

The LiveCD would not fully boot when the CDROM was attached to the IDE bus; an SATA CDROM was required, otherwise it would pull up an AROS screen saying "Waiting for boot device".

HDToolBox on the LiveCD did not permit me to do any partitioning or make any changes, no matter what configuration. It certainly detected the presence of the hard disk on the appropriate device, but any attempt to change the partitioning was met with "Error 100" (IIRC) or "Disk Full". Even if I had just zeroed out the drive with Acronis True Image. Also, while it does show that there was one device present, it didn't mention what unit #, you need to pay attention during the Grub boot process to retrieve that information (unless there is some CLI command or utility on the CD that I don't know about which enumerates that information; ASSIGN and INFO don't show it). There is no virus protection option on these motherboards which would prevent overwriting the MBR area; Acronis true image was able to manipulate the MBR and zero it out without a problem.

LiveCD would not boot up in any mode other than Safe mode.

I would get SFS or FFS errors when attempting to install in any configuration. IDE hard disk, both ata.device drivers, or AHCI mode in the bios with the ahci.device. SFS partition, or FFS international partition, 2gig, 8 gig, 40gig, 1 gig, it didn't matter. Either machine, any hard disk.

Attempts to boot the liveCD on a 3rd machine (an i5-4690) resulted in no keyboard or mouse; USB obviously not supported on the motherboard.

Needless to say, I tossed the install cd and mentally made a note "check back in another two years". I probably spent 8-10 hours fiddlefarting around trying to get it to install.

Last edited by Shadowfire; 24 May 2018 at 00:13.

Page generated in 0.04313 seconds with 11 queries