Thread: Ambermoon
View Single Post
Old 11 May 2013, 14:10   #438
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
ok Alex be my guest then

here is the deal :

you have reported on the thalion webschrine many errors, script typos.
since i wanted to translate such a jewel in french, i needed at first to get the tools, and then to decypher the text script files.

from the errors corrected like the one about valdyn in luminor tower, i have then reverse engineered the text files.

Things happens like this, here is how i translate each text block and what is where in the file. This is script number 348 from 3map_texts.amb file

text decoding for block 348 :
header

0002,0010,00A2 ......
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0002 : Number of text blocks => here 2 blocs

0010 : text block 1 length

00A2 : text block 2 length

--------
BLOCK 1
--------

0000 => '20'+'RUINED TOWER+'20'+'00'+'20'

=> '20'+'TOUR EN RUINE+'20'+'00'+'20'

--------
BLOCK 2
--------

0000 => '20'+'ALL AROUND YOU LIE THE REMAINS OF WHAT WAS ONCE A SPLENDID BUILDING. THIS TOWER MUST HAVE BEEN SEVERAL HUNDRED FEET HIGH BEFORE IT COLLAPSED OVER THE OF YEARS.+'20'+'00'+'20'

=> '20'+'IL Y A TOUT AUTOUR DE VOUS LES RESTES DE CE QUI ETAIT AUTREFOIS UNE SPLENDIDE CONSTRUCTION. CETTE TOUR DEVAIT FAIRE TRENTE METRES DE HAUT AVANT QU'ELLE NE S'EFFONDRE AVEC LES ANNEES.+'20'+'00'+'20'

as you can see, aside the word missing between 'the' and 'of the years' how the script is made.

i met in the 3map_texts.amb container, files which have 11 text blocks declared, when only 10 are inside ! you bet the game engine hates this

I have also found files with a text declared, but nothing inside !

a text always start by byte '$20' and ALWAYS finish by 3 bytes : '$20','$00','$20'

any crap thing like '20,00,20,1A,5D,79' is a typo and hence must me corrected by '20,00,20', the '1A,5D,79' bytes are useless and not used by the parser, and prompt to corrupt the text parser which while being easy to understand, doesn't bear any errors.

example : the 0,0 coordinates crash due to the missing text block in the container 1Map_texts.amb related to the whirlwind.

the dwarfs part of the game is ridden of those typos, errors, wrong text block number, and so on, there is even the |END ... crap you found like in the spider text from the beginning of the game.

logically, if those typos were a problem in the beginning of the game, why wouldn't they crash the game later ?

To continue about the dwarfs part, which is huge, the texts are gigantic to translate, and so far, no players have really played the game in detail, only the main line, because i have discovered text lines or paragraph which would have never been displayed in the english release, or cause corruption in memory.

I'll post later a script file or two with crap inside them

Page generated in 0.14726 seconds with 11 queries