View Single Post
Old 28 February 2016, 22:25   #4
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
Well, there is certainly a clear technical difference between the two: high density disks use a different kind of magnetic coating. A double-density drive won't necessarily be able to write the signal onto the disk as well.

In practice it works okay, sometimes even for long periods of time. There are so many specific types of drives and floppies that all you are going to find is anecdotal evidence either way.
Thanks for the answer. I have written a few ADFs to HD disks and it seemed to work fine. I just wonder how reliable they will be. Will probably just have to test see what happens long term. All my disk drives are original Amiga ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Many people report that they format fine but they don't retain their data as long as genuine DD disks. The theory makes sense (HD media need a higher field strength from the heads than DD media), but I've yet to see proof of it...

As an experiment, I've dug out a few floppies that were supplied on HD disks with the hold filled in (hard drive prep disks from Wizard Developments in 1997 or so). They haven't been touched since then, and I've tried two of them in my A1200 and both read 100% perfectly. So they're probably safe for a few years anyway...
Thanks for the answer. So that's 19 years in storage and still working

Page generated in 0.04037 seconds with 11 queries