View Single Post
Old 18 May 2017, 12:22   #5
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
Aros is unbearably slow after it has booted in this 14mhz 68020 Amiga config. It is nearly impossible to be able to access the Workbench menu, as it takes ages to draw it, timing out the mouse selection operation. You can literally see the cascading window being drawn.

Removing Aros “decoration” improves the situation considerably, but it is still noticeably slow.
i think it is expectable that a full color decoration enabled desktop wont be usable on a plain 68020, especially using png inagery. except that there is aphablending in transparent menus.. i have an incomplete iff theme here, but as you write the easiest way is to disable the temeing for starters. especially it looks more amiga then.

the speed of graphics subsystem especially on planar is a known problem. it has not received much love due to lack of feedback from 68k users and the lack of involved amiga coders.

btw. alternatively to wanderer there is scalos and also workbook, very small and simple workbench replacement for low end systems.

Quote:
During tests, Aros crashed out of the blue,
should be reproducible though. can you specify how to provoke such a crash? could you post your config? maybe you have run out of memory? (fast or chip)

Quote:
and produced screen refreshing issues several times when performing ordinary workbench tasks.
yes, there are screen refreshing issues left, i have observed even before yesterday when testing with an a4000/040/16/AGA. many have been fixed by georg last year, but apparently not all.

Quote:
Seems to be quite unstable and prone to crashes. Whilst all other Oses had no issues performing the same mundane tasks.
aros certainly isnt as stable as it should be. still as i wrote above i have been testing it these days on one of my 4000er with a number of aros and amiga software and couldnt provoke a crash.

Quote:
On Aros Workbench windows are as slow as a snail.It doesnt matter if you ramp up the available cpu power a bit. Opening a window and closing it, seems an eternal wait.
aros has room for improvement. thats given. im looking forward to put together some more basic config next, something with 030 or even 020 maybe. uae is good for primary testing an comparison but wont give you real figures to be expected on an actual amiga hardware, as you cannot make it cycle exact.

Page generated in 0.04973 seconds with 11 queries