View Single Post
Old 20 May 2020, 19:33   #1
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

Original Renegade by Taito - cracked by Quartex?

Something very strange happened to me. I bought a still sealed copy of Taito's Renegade on ebay (USA). After unpacking it the first strange thing I noticed was that the disk label had "Atari ST 520/1040" on it, although the box front says AMIGA.

So I thought that maybe it's just the wrong label and this is true because the disk actually contains the Amiga version of Renegade. However, after kryofluxing it, I noticed that the Renegade version on the disk is actually a Quartex crack. In the intro it says "Cracked by Quartex" and there is this text in the file "s/QUARTEX_SPEAKS!":

Quote:
Renegade (100%)
Cracked by THE BEST ... QUARTEX
The ONLY name in the BUSINESS.

Call THE LINK to PERFECTION:
(USA) 201-679-8477

This protection was so simple that only two groups could
have fucked it up: World of Wonders & Bencor Brothers !
Well this time World of Wonders fucked it up ...
But don't give up Bencor maybe you beat them next time !

ANYWAY THIS IS THE ONE AND ONLY 100% QUARTEX VERSION !

There CAN BE only ONE ... QUARTEX !
So WTF is this! Was Taito actually selling a Quartex crack of Renegade? I don't think that the person who sold this on ebay to me is a fraudster because everything in that copy of Renegade really feels like brand new and untouched and also the shrink wrap that I had to remove in order to unpack it really looks and feels like it's 30+ years old. So I don't think that anyone has tampered with it. It really looks like this was in the stores exactly like that 30 years ago. But can that be? Did they really sell a cracked-by-Quartex version of Renegade in the USA?

Funnily, there's still one item left on ebay because the seller apparently has two of it. See here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Renegade-So...sAAOSwNmhejLUl The one item that has been sold was bought by yours truly and it's cracked by Quartex..... WTF!

Page generated in 0.04578 seconds with 11 queries