View Single Post
Old 19 January 2017, 11:54   #13
appiah4

The effort and money involved in investing into Amiga hardware beyond what came inside the box always seemed to be a terrible deal, by 1992 it was basically stupid to try, and Commodore never made the effort to make it a better deal.

Amiga lacked affordable upgrade paths altogether. In 1992, my only logical upgrade path from an A500 was the A1200. Add ons seemed absolutely stupid at the time - in terms of Hard Disks I was locked into the byzantine, obscure pieces of proprietary SCSI Commodore hardware and accelerators for an A500 were obvious dead end upgrades that would not work with a platform upgrade to the A1200.

In comparison, I could see the PC as a 'platform' was something you could invest into and upgrade over time to keep up with gaming demands while staying on the cutting edge. 1994 was when the A500 left the house and a 486 DX33 with VESA SVGA and Sound Blaster Pro rolled in. It wiped the floor with everything a fully upgraded A1200 could do.

It's sad, but IMO Commodore's real failure in hindsight was making the Amiga 500 an AIO mainboard with proprietary chips (which was ironically what made it really accessible in the first place..) instead of something like the 8086 platform - a computer with standardized sockets/slots and OEM hardware compatibility.

A500 was great value for 87-91. 92+, it was underpowered, and a pain in the ass to upgrade. A1200 was a poor value proposition for its timeand got gradually worse and worse over time.

Last edited by appiah4; 19 January 2017 at 12:02.

Page generated in 0.08031 seconds with 12 queries