View Single Post
Old 19 January 2017, 03:02   #2
Pat the Cat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisposableHero View Post
that were converted from the PC
Some people had predicted the PC would win out in 1989. They didn't say when exactly. What they did notice was a trend where customers would go for aYo faster PC, 256 colour graphics card, sound card, JUST to play games.

The PCs had advantages against the A500, A600, A1200. Hard disks and expansion carrds werre cheaper. You could take some upgrades with you, wen you upgraded a PC. You couldn't do that on the equivalent "home" Amiga gear.

I think the breakthrough PC game that I remember was Ultima Underworld. It wasn't FPS, it was gory hack and slash, and no Amiga could really go there.

I tried with a BB, KCS, few other emulator systems. A real PC was as good or better than a BB, and the Amiga equivalnets all cost more, and either ran OK but expensive, slower on that or didn't work at all.

You mention pushing accelerators, but AF didn't get that many to talk about. there was the PPS A500 aHD and accelerator that had a very whiny fan, was very expensive, had issues but at least was external. Not much else for the A500 really, that I remember. Vortex maybe? Early Apollo boards, maybe.

I think it's fair to say that less than half of Amiga owners at the time had hard disks even, with the A500, or even A600. It started getting cheaper that way with the A1200, but that itself took a long time for CBM to make, ship to to stores, and sell.PC hard drive ownership was more than double that, maybe up to 90% of total, because it was cheaper to do.

One big difference between then and now was trade restrictions. If a German company wanted to sell in the UK, they had to find a UK distributor. And the other way around. That didn't help any of the small hardware makers really. You relied on your distributors so much, and they took a cut of everything you made, effectively. A good distributor was crucial to any hope of survival. Same choices for Transatlantic, really. The language differences were not so big, but the cultures were VERY different. Power Computing got GVP into the UK and sold loads. They even ended up buying half of GVP, if I remember.

Power Computing had a reputation for bullying. I don't want to talk about that. They certainly complained a lot, and some of that could be taken as threatening. I think the main man, Tony Ianari, was described as "flamboyant". He certainly got on the phone and shouted to stand up for his products, his company. He even went so far as to say he could prove bias on some things. All part of the game, but it was like a dance, with some outfits. Not so much business as pantomime. They certainly did bring some great products to the UK, not just GVP stuff. But they were hard work to deal with, sometimes, over some issues.

Last edited by Pat the Cat; 19 January 2017 at 03:11.

Page generated in 0.07470 seconds with 11 queries