View Single Post
Old 25 January 2015, 14:00   #28
strim
NetBSD developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
@Strim

I'm hacking directly on the Amiga. (FYI an A3000UX which also has NetBSD installed).
Using Devpac (Genam/Monam) on the 68k code and Powerasm for the PPC code. Which has it's quirks, like not supporting the L2CR register and while the docs say that addis rD,rS,SIMM should work as rD=0+SIMM when rS = 0 it still somehow behaved as rD=r0+SIMM which took me a while to find.
I was asking about that because I was wondering if I could somehow join your development, without actually making it more difficult for you.

Earlier I mentioned GitHub, that I normally use for source code management of my projects, but since you're developing natively, that is not an option. As far as I know there's no usable git client for OS 3.x. I think the only option would be to set up our own Subversion or CVS repository. I didn't do any native development in ages, but I remember there were working CVS and Subversion clients. CVS is simpler so I'd probably go for it.

The second thing to solve would be a compiler that works both natively and for cross compilation (for 68k and ppc). I'm often out of home, can't take my Amiga on the road, and using UAE for actually writing code is a pain for me. So I'd prefer a solution that works both on real Amiga and from other OS - I normally use some Unix-like while on the road. I could try to build such environment with vbcc, which is modern and available both natively on AmigaOS and for cross compilation.

Any solutions like "compile on Amiga, then copy to PC, to push to GitHub", or "mail lha of source code snapshot" are not acceptable in my opinion (it's a huge waste of time). It would absolutely make no sense at this early stage, if you'd have to spend more time on sharing to results of your work, than actually working. I think developer's time is most precious and should be used on development instead of menial tasks. Tell me your opinion .

If you send me the source, I could set up CVS server and vbcc-ize the code, to make it buildable both on AmigaOS and Unix-likes.

Last edited by strim; 25 January 2015 at 14:08.

Page generated in 0.06351 seconds with 11 queries