View Single Post
Old 23 June 2014, 20:17   #17
balrogsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Very nicely explained. And the method is the correct old school one.
One thing I was wondering was why the tiles are not printer in a row, but rather in an odd sequence starting from middle and then finishing at middle part.

Forgetting the above... Have you tried the half pixel scroll on PAL? (hint: screen view position shifting) This technique allows quarter pixel horizontal scrolling. Will the engine implement 8 directional scrolling ? That would be really cool. I guess if the virtual screen is 2x wider + a few blocks with a really tricky algorithm it is possible to do exactly the same trick.

Another cool feature would be variable scroll speed, eg for Super Cars style games.
The main purpose of this engine is provide basic elements to develop a game, tilemaps isn't in the to do list, blitting functions are provided to implement it yourself. The examples are only examples to show that it's possible to create system friendly games that runs on classic Amiga and new gen systems like MorphOS. It isn't a game engine for novice coders, the API is very simple, but it requires knowledge about programming to get all the potential of this engine, which is basically an abstraction layer between the system and the game.

An 8way scroller is possible but it will require an accelerated machine, probably my A600 with ACA630@25mhz won't be enough. A problem with horizontal scroll on MorphOS is that ScrollVPort only works every 8 pixels, horizontal scrolling isn't smooth on MorphOS using this function. Just curiosity, how works the half pixel scroll exactly?

I don't have enough time to develop things like a TileMap API for this engine, maybe someone can add this after publish my code.

I'm working on a more advance 2D game engine for my commercial games (with Box2D integrated on sprites and tilemaps), but it requires a new gen machine, this engine and my game prototype is working on Windows, Linux, Android, and MorphOS, but it's closed source.

Last edited by balrogsoft; 23 June 2014 at 22:59.

Page generated in 0.04478 seconds with 11 queries