View Single Post
Old 18 October 2019, 08:23   #61
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
I know all about Copper reuse of sprites, I did do that 'lets see if I can't fill the entire screen with random sprite data using the copper' thing a while back

However, I really do think you're underestimating the C64 - I'm not saying you can't replicate (most) C64 sprite multiplexers using bobs (and/or sprites, though Amiga sprites lack width compared to C64 sprites so a one-to-one conversion can't be done) on the Amiga, but it's not 'easy' as such. Later life C64 sprite multiplexers could throw some pretty impressive stuff about, both in sprite count and size.

As for tile effects, I was thinking more along the line of tile based animation as seen in say Turrican (see the piranha boss fight, the C64 has the entire screen animating a rather nice looking water effect - note that this effect runs at 50Hz). Again, I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's not nearly as easy as you might think initially.

The C64 really was quite impressive from a 'number of pixels moving on screen' perspective. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it could display more sprite pixels in a frame when using a decent multiplexer (during a game anyway) than the Amiga can do bob pixels - assuming both have to use a full size 16 colour screen. Especially if the game to emulate also has an animating background.
Truth bombs being dropped here..
It's easy to have a lot of movement on the C64 screen for free with Sprites and char/tile manipulation.

One big reason that C64 games were almost always 50 fps, while Amiga games sucked ass being 25 fps or even 17 or lower (looking at rolling thunder).

In the end it comes down to what I am saying for years:
The C64 is really easy to get into and get stuff going but in the end hard to master.
The Amiga is really hard to to get into, but easier to master when your stuff is running.

Last edited by Tigerskunk; 18 October 2019 at 08:36.

Page generated in 0.04407 seconds with 11 queries