View Single Post
Old 27 September 2018, 15:01   #186
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
So what are your predominant use cases for computer hardware?
running development tools that allow me to do my job and earn my living.

Quote:
(and what this have to do with the fact that people enjoy emulators and ports (meaning: more options) on their hardware, be it vampire or 68060 driven?)
The thing is just, that you can run these emulators on every modern hardware - probably faster, in higher resolutions and more convenient.
And 99% already possess such a device.

Same goes for ports - why should you play a backported (often feature-wise downgraded) game on special hardware, if you got a device in front of you, that is capable of playing the original version.
Just because you can?

Don't get me wrong: there is a certain "coolness" factor to it and it is impressive that a 30 year old device can be upgraded to do so.

But is there something it can actually do better?

That is exactly the "problem" of this project: it is limiting itself to a small number of retro-fans. Majsta mentioned the potential number of 10.000 users - and that is absolute best case.

A new compatible FAST 68k ASIC on a RasPi like board on the other hand could target a million users easily.
(but they would need to concentrate on the CPU/FPU and leave the chipset out of it - that could be done in an additional small FPGA on such a board - no need to reinvent the wheel, MISTer already exists)

Page generated in 0.07992 seconds with 11 queries