View Single Post
Old 24 April 2024, 00:23   #106
CCCP alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
I don't agree (that is, about the C64 having poor games in it's last few years). In my opinion, many of the C64's best games, either from a tech perspective, art/sound perspective or gameplay perspective (or from all three perspectives) were released in 1989 onwards. Now not all were platform originals or exclusives, but still all were amongst the best on the platform.

Just a few examples of great and well known post 1988 games on C64:
  • 1989 saw Project Firestart, Myth, X-Out, Retrograde, Turbo Outrun as well as games like Curse of the Azure Bonds, Starflight and War in Middle Earth
  • 1990 saw Rainbow Islands, Turrican 1, Creatures 1, Flimbo's Quest, Ninja Spirit, Dragon Breed as well as games like Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, Ultima VI and Champions of Krynn
  • 1991 saw Turrican 2, Exile, Turbo Charge, SWIV, Last Ninja 3 as well as games like Overlord/Supremacy, Elvira, Gateway to the Savage Frontier and Hero Quest
  • 1992 saw Creatures 2, First Samurai, Nobby the Aardvark, Enforcer and also games like Space Crusade, Elvira 2 and Nick Faldo's Golf
And a special shoutout to Robocop and Golden Axe, not for being great games (though Robocop is OK until you reach the broken level), but for having great SID tunes.

True, by 1993 it started drying up quickly (with only really Mayhem in Monsterland in 1993 and Lemmings in 1994 as standout titles plus some lesser known German titles, some of which were pretty good actually), but that was also the commercial end of the C64 - Commodore may still have had it on sale, but they had stopped producing it and were just trying to get rid of remaining stock at that point.

There's lots more good post 1988 stuff (and many banging SID tunes), but much of it is not widely known and writing pages of text with example games gets tiresome, so stopped here.
Technically poor, piss poor factory production line coding and/or idiotic waste of VIC-II banks for loads of multiplexed sprites with hi-res overlays==drab backgrounds in 4-5 colour 1982 quality wank. Few games are as colourful as Nobby or Katakis. The talent was gone from the 64 scene by 1990. I should know I played them all from 1983 to mid 1990 on C64 and CPC from 84to 1990

Page generated in 0.05412 seconds with 11 queries