View Single Post
Old 01 November 2016, 11:51   #15
Sinphaltimus

I should probably mention that I'm doing all this on a Dell Inspiron 9200. Seems the hardware is a good fit for KX Lite and Amiga Forever.

With that said: I was able to finally chmod on the Amiga folder on the hard drive and edit the config file for euae but when I rebooted afterwards, everything seemed to go back to the way it was.

So I'm still experimenting there. And yes, I can customize and install programs and things that would normally get deleted by using the CD however; installing the OS to HDD like a CD (in the install options) it does indeed save changes.

My guess is that it saves changes to the local HDD in a file that gets added at boot time. I don't think I can retain changes made to the KX LITE environment. I dunno, still learning there.

With all of that said, here's the update:

Using this video guide from Akira I am now able to mount adf files. So that's working. It doesn't solve the bootable adf issue but that just might be as siomple as copying the file0 device to the root instead of leaving it in the xfs folder (since it doesn't remount at bootup from within that folder obviously).

[ Show youtube player ]

Here's a quick summary.
1. Install Amiga Forever from CD to HDD, options I used (with help from others) was to type af-fbtxt 2 at the first boot prompt and ht enter. Type afinstall at the next boot prompt (yeah I know you can to other settings but I wanted a basic setup to test getting up and running). I wiped the entire HDD and selected the option to install to HDD as a CD because decompressing to hdd did not seem to work. I will revist that later or try to convert this install to that kind if possible.

2. boot off a third party linux live cd. I used Knoppix.
3. copy adf files to Amiga hard drive. The Amiga CD image file or whatever (however they do it) it is, is the location. 4GB/Amiga/ I think it's the DIR or Folder directory - dong this from memory. In there someplace you'll fine the SYSTEM and WORK folders. Those are the Amiga hard drive mounts. So make a folder and copy your adf files to that location. It won't have an icon, you can show all once in workbench.

So that gets your afd files in to Workbench. Now follow this guide by Akira to get your ADF files mounted in workbench.

[ Show youtube player ]

With internet working, you can download straight to WB using AWeb.
Setup an ftp or http server containing all your adf files and you no longer need to rely on a third party linux live distro to get adf files in to workbench.

I find this usable so far. But I want to find a way to change the simulation so I can use a faster cpu, more ram and the rest of my HDD. I have MED and Octamed working great. Fantavision not so much which is getting less and less important anyway. Really doing this for Octa/MED and animation which I will find another package to complete that if I never get FV to work.

I'd love to have a try at bootable games to see how that goes too. But first things first.... Customize simulation....

Page generated in 0.07350 seconds with 11 queries