View Single Post
Old 04 February 2020, 00:40   #57
VladR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Why not take a poll and find out how the Amiga users you speak for feel about that... could be enlightening
You got the Delorean prepped & fed with 3 jiggawatts ? I think I could come up with a slightly better use of all that energy.

Because no poll in 2020, after everybody and their dog was exposed to constant 60+ fps on recent consoles, could remotely accurately describe actually how forgiving we all were [across all platforms] about the abysmal framerates 30 years ago.

Doom here is actually a great example. With every PC upgrade (between me and friends) it seemed like it couldn't possibly be faster or smoother, but when I got the DX4-80 MHz it still became more fluent and ridiculously fast.

We just never experienced that kind of framerate before, where every single pixel on screen became redrawn in a 3D game.

I'm pretty sure I played Wolfenstein at sub-10 fps on my 80386 and it was fine.

When Descent was released, the framerates were quite horrendous, forget about 15 fps, some rooms fell down to 3-5 fps, yet I still enjoyed it tremendously.
Speaking of Descent, I recently found a YT vid of it at what appears to be sub-10 fps on V4 (though at 960x540). After 5 minutes, it is fine and you just get used to it.

Of course, for my racing game, I will need to adjust scene complexity & scale down pretty visuals for at least 20-30 fps. We'll see...

Page generated in 0.04305 seconds with 11 queries