View Single Post
Old 29 January 2020, 19:53   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

There is almost no need for an FPU in any Amiga. So little software supported it (we're talking fractions of a percent). Plus there are lots of rumours and lies about software utilising an FPU when they don't. (Lots of 3D games of this era use fixed point maths)

Any other variant of 680x0 accelerator if it was an LC or didn't have the FPU fitted I wouldn't bother seeking one out.

HOWEVER

060 accelerators seem to be the exception. A higher percentage of 060 only executables have FPU code in them than any other 680x0 executable.

Which I put down to 2 things :

1) All 060 accelerators of the time had an FPU, so assembler coders could use it.

2) A higher percentage of 060 only executables are compiled from higher level languages and not assembler allowing the compiler to produce FPU code.

If it were not for 060 demo's most of which seem to use the FPU I'd not care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver
I think we should evaluate the feasability of including an FPU emulation library/service on a future version of AmigaOS.
Are there not already commercial FPU emulation libraries for AmigaOS? Ones for the LC040? Possibly the LC060? I thought they were only for LC variants which had the F-Line exception hardware. But I may be completely wrong and be confusing mathlibs and oxypatcher/cyberpatcher.

Last edited by alexh; 29 January 2020 at 20:04.

Page generated in 0.04426 seconds with 11 queries