View Single Post
Old 10 November 2017, 05:12   #1563
TroyWilkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Shame, you definitely lucked out there

...they are standard issue these days, all the cool kids have them

<sorry for the off topic; GMs can have fun too you know>
Hahahaha yeah. Call me weird if you like, but I still think the Amiga sound sounds good, even if it's not technically CD quality or better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotareneg View Post
The simple explanation: 8 bit is noisier than 16 bit, this noise is called quantization noise.

It's most obvious when comparing quiet audio, like when the audio in this sample fades out:

[ Show youtube player ]
Ahh, that youtube video is exactly the sort of thing I'd been looking for on EweChoob, but had no luck finding. Thank you. So it's not a night and day difference, but more subtle - there if you know what to look for, but it's not that my ears are broken, hahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk View Post
Here is what it looks like as a waveform:

If we assume that we want to play a pure (sine) tone, it can clearly be seen that the 16 bit version is much less jagged than the 8 bit. A pure tone should only have one frequency, but the jaggies (abrupt changes in the signal) will cause there to be also higher frequency content in the output. Depending on the exact conditions this will manifest as some kind of tingling, squealing or other noise in the sound.

These higher frequencies can be later filtered out, but doing so will mean also losing some of the intended higher frequency content. That is why it would be better to have a better representation (= more bits) of the signal in the first place.

And of course another major issue is also the loss in dynamic range, as Daedalus explained. A quiet tone might only use, say, 3 bits of the range and that will be a very blocky waveform and therefore far from the ideal sound.
Ahh, wonderful, thank you. So that's the intention of the low pass audio filter on the Amiga?

Page generated in 0.10451 seconds with 11 queries