View Single Post
Old 29 July 2020, 23:20   #34
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
I first saw Doom on a friend's multimedia 486 in early 1994, with all the bells and whistles. I was awestruck by the detailed texture mapping on the walls, floors and ceilings, the lighting effects, the fast scaling, audio and just generally everything about it. I knew then that I was looking at the future
Fair enough, but to me it looked every bit as clunky and ugly then as it seems now. It was the same with many PS1 games - such early 3D with textures that were too low in resolution and detail, and clunky pseudo-3D scaling sprites were too much of a distraction for me to really get into such games. while I could understand the hype, so many games of that era were so underwhelming for me. There were a few exceptions on the PS1 where things were smooth enough to become something I could actually call the future (e.g. Wipeout, Wipeout 2097, Colony wars). It wasn't until the N64 that it finally started to become tolerable on the whole, and the PS2 / Gamecube era when it was proper 3D that I could immerse myself in. On the PC end of things, that was essentially Quake 3 / Unreal sort of era, when I finally found PC FPS games become what I felt was decent 3D. Anything before that felt then, as it does now, like an ugly mess of pixels.

Page generated in 0.05616 seconds with 11 queries