View Single Post
Old 22 May 2018, 23:57   #19
Dunny

I think he's saying that we should be able to remove the 68k emulation and in its place talk directly to hardware on the main PC board, with maybe a 68k CPU in FPGA to execute the 68k instructions. Then for stuff like connectivity, video/sound output, use those components on the board directly.

At least, that's what I think he's saying - though his profile hails from North America, I'm pretty certain that English is not his native language. He's certainly not very clear.

The problem as far as I can see is that if you remove the 68k emulation from WinUAE or FS-UAE you don't have a lot left - aside from custom chip emulation which would probably also have to go - you're just left with a framework that talks to a host OS transferring what the emulated Amiga wants to do to the drivers that constitute the video, sound and networking/peripheral devices.

As ideas go (assuming I'm right, which I might not be as he's pretty incomprehensible) it's not a bad one that someone unfamiliar with how emulation works might come up with, but it doesn't stand up to any sort of scrutiny.

Page generated in 0.07495 seconds with 11 queries