View Single Post
Old 12 February 2020, 12:37   #26
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
It is because Beast was a watershed moment for the Amiga, meaning, that finally, someone had shown what the Amiga was actually capable of when the hardware was actually utilised properly, i.e. when what the Atari ST could do wasn't even a consideration. And it sold by the truckload as a result.

Sure, the gameplay is suspect for some people, but, it had that "wow" factor on release. Graphically it was excellent, sonically the music was absolutely superb, and technically, it ticked all the right boxes.

It showed other devs that were getting away with the bare minimum by doing basic ST ports that they might not be able to get away with doing that much longer, because at the time, people were trying to conceive how to do it on the Atari ST and coming to the conclusion it couldn't be done.

For some devs, it gave them the kick up the arse they needed to improve, and was the beginning of the end for the ST as a viable machine to publish commercial games on.

That wow moment for me was Defender of the Crown. Somehow I missed SOTB in early stage and by time I got it, there have been much more playable and enjoyable games around.

Thank you all for pointing out why you keep talking about this game...

Page generated in 0.04374 seconds with 11 queries