Thread: X86 Discussion
View Single Post
Old 08 January 2020, 10:19   #608
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm1991 View Post
Funny Enough My Game Gear is in Desperate Need of a Recap and a New screen as I have a Couple of Coloured vertical Lines which I have read I will not be able to get them out reflowing the Ribbon Cable? I will take your advice and Source out a Mcwill Mod and Cap Kit and do the Game Gear first. Would you be able to point me in the Right direction to a Budget Friendly Rework station as I do want to get the Kit. The Most Advanced Soldering I have done is Turning old broken top Screen Nintendo Ds Lites and Converting them into Full time Gameboys By soldering a Resistor to two Points on the Main Board and Reattaching one of the Speakers to the Main Board also. They are Nicknamed the Gameboy Macro. I have even started attaching bubble rod and a led into the Hinge just for Effect but is a Nice touch :-)
You might be able to fix the ribbon cable. Use a very low temperature on the iron and drag it across the ribbon when the console is on. It might work, it might not but worth a try. McWill is great but bloody expensive, you'd need to be a hardcore gamegear fan to spend that much on the screen. I just kept my original screen but I've been toying with the idea of an LED backlight mod to increase battery life.

My rework station is one of the cheap ones amazon. The exact model number of mine is no longer available but the current one appears to be 998D. If you search on amazon for rework station 998D you'll find it for about £50. Like anything though you get what you pay for and if you can afford it get a branded unit.

Page generated in 0.07132 seconds with 11 queries