View Single Post
Old 10 December 2008, 10:28   #58
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
I've only used those monitors internal sound when I didn't have an amp with speakers, so I have little experience with them.
I regret my old 1083S anyway. Best monitor I've ever had.

Quote:
Yup, I've got a low paid job. I've got little money for extras. It's simple outside work, which is completely stress-less and the hours are good, so I guess the disadvantage actually has an advantage!
If work becomes enjoyable then it no longer is work. If so, yes, you're right in keeping that one.

Quote:
Frequencys below 50 hertz can be heard properly. The human hearing reange is 20 to 20000 hertz As humans get older, their upper frequency bound reduces. Mine at age 32 is 16000 hertz. The lower bound doesn't seem to change.

As for vinyl, this has other problems. With digital storage media, one can simply increase the sample rate and the number of stored bits. With dvds this means a significant increase in audio quality.
The main advantage of digital storage isn't quality (a vinyl is still better than a CD - the first time you play it), but the fact it can be duplicated without any loss.

But do 20 to 50 hz buzz have their place in music ? I dunno.

Quote:
Sometimes. But I've noticed that the whole system becomes stuttery when the cpu is hogged by an application. That's why I'm sticking to wav.
If an app is eating lots of cpu power, you can just lower its priority.
I've seen my system at 100% cpu usage with its reactivity unaffected.

Quote:
That might not be a bad idea. 70ns really sucks
So... Hippo can play mpeg audio but isn't good. You can use DT2's Mpegaplayer and tell me which settings you are able to use.

Quote:
Yes, I do. 16Bit 44khz music on the peecee
But this isn't tracker music. Peecees never have really played tracker musics correctly anyway, even DP2 on PC has a bad rendering.

Quote:
Oh, come on, the Netherlands are practically around the corner
You want it, eh ? But you won't have it. This time it is because I'm too lazy

Quote:
14bit and 14bit calibrated sound the same. At verbosity level 1 it says:
(...)
This output is the same for both paula14 and paula14c options.
You're not playing with calibrated output. There should have been an additionnal line telling this.

You may have a look with Snoopdos. Perhaps your calibration file ended up at the wrong place.

Quote:
I can understand why! What kind of pictures are they, by the way?
Errrh... Ahem... Heheh... Can't you guess ?

Quote:
Wow, what do you have on your hd that only three gigs are still free?
Apart the jpegs, I have loads of mp3 (perhaps 5 gigs or more), thousands of mods (several Aminet CDs), some waves/flacs, lots of games (including some pc games waiting for an hypothetical port), lots of programs (sometimes with huge sources), some demos...

It really needs a whole lot of clean-up

Quote:
Yes, I am. I used to drink a whole case a day regularly years ago. This is sure to have caused some damage
A whole case a day

Quote:
That's true. No need for fancy graphics without any code to make'm do anything.
So, are you able to do some "place holder" graphics for a game ?

Apart from games, I also need some gfx for a GUI (for my audio player project).
Some icons are easy to do (play, stop...) but others are not.

Quote:
So do I. The graphics from the Fire Emblem series are similar, but much better than the old Ultimas. Great game, too, Fire Emblem.
I don't know Fire Emblem... Probably another pc game.

Quote:
So do I I want an rpg world that's the size of a whole planet!
The best I've found for that is Ambermoon.

Quote:
I meant to swap Torham out, and your favorite character in! Requires some hacking, but should be possible.
This would need some hacks in the dungeon file, to put Torham back to sleep (there IS a place for that !). Now the game wouldn't even need a character to start, as like old DM it can start with none (it just takes whoever is at 0,0
of the starting level, could be no-one).

However, this cutie gives all her power when protected behind strong warriors...

Quote:
I get fed up with the best games when I play them too long, and have to leave them alone for a while. This is one of the reasons I haven't been playing Dungeon Master recently. It's one of my favorite games, though!
Ok then. About Dm : I don't believe that. You're just afraid to get into that custom dungeon and get your ass kicked again

Quote:
The png decoding was actually done quite fast, but you didn't ask. Oh noes! It's 'only' the inflate part that has been delayed!
But you can't test if you haven't any real case, and this requires doing everything. Sorry again, but the delay was just too large.

Anyway you can still give me what you already have, even though I doubt one can make a paeth routine faster than mine

Quote:
I actually thought the decoding parts weren't too hard to do.
Yes. Apart that progressive stuff, which needed to rewrite the whole main loop.

Quote:
I've tried using IrfanView to convert to various different settings, but it can't seem to output progressive pngs or uncompressed pngs. Alpha channel shouldn't be a problem, and there should be some programs for the peecee that can output all relevant formats. I'll see if I can find some.
Yes, I'd be happy if you could find/encode some.

Quote:
Hehe, 68k really does spoil the programmer, doesn't it
68k was made by programmers, and they knew what they needed. It has some flaws, but nothing better exists. It's just too bad it got abandoned !

Quote:
My simple viewer already does. I just haven't needed output messages yet. I know I will though, and it's easy to implement.
Easy to implement, maybe. But what if they need to be translated ?
I'm still looking for a locale.library-like solution.

Quote:
Yuk
Yes, yuk. I agree.

Quote:
Yes, and it means the table has to have multiple entries that have the same output, so that incomplete codes are ignored.
My table gives actual value to be output, and the number of bits to be returned to the bit reader. I can't see how it could have given two values at once.

Quote:
That's not completely true. If you write a high level program in c on the peecee, and compile it on the Amiga, then it simply works if only standard libs are used. I've already tried it with a c based system frame for memory and file handling. Same goes for the programs I've written to convert different Japanese dictionaries to a format usable by my Japanes Dictionary program in VisualBasic Express. All this stuff is 100% portable (between peecee and Amiga).
If only standard libs are used. That means : no graphics, no sound, just plain console and file i/o. You can't get far with that !

Quote:
The low level parts aren't. An os still contains quite a few high level parts, and I suspect many to be reusable.
But the low level parts can change drastically to be correctly adapted to an architecture, which, in turn, affects what's on top of them.

Quote:
I must admit that I don't use a lot of mui software. A few prefs programs. That's it.
I use more. Nearly all Internet-related stuff (MiamiDx, IBrowse, Yam...) use it.

Quote:
Hippo actually plays back fine. Because I don't have many exotic formats, I think I'll stick with Hippo for a little while longer. I only really play wavs, mods and sids.
But Hippo's just ugly ;-)
And some mods aren't played correctly.

Quote:
Right! But I don't have any
See Aminet/mods.

Quote:
My system isn't either. I always make scripts for app assigns. Only permanent assigns, such as the system assigns and mui are hndled by mcp.
So you don't really need a particular program for your assigns. The os in itself doesn't require many of them.

Quote:
I've never seen it crash. Then again I don't have a lot of mui apps.
When put in my hands, LOTS of apps crash

Quote:
That really sucks At least we can always write our own software
Yes, but software probably isn't enough. If we really wanted quality, IMO we'd have to redesign the whole machine !

Quote:
Those fools, d'oh

Quote:
Same here. I love oop, but it's not needed all the time. To much oop is poo
It may be true that too much oop kills oop.
Also I do not like mixing code with data and oop is just that.

Quote:
It may just take longer than expected.
Isn't it already starting to be a little bit too long ?

Quote:
It's going to take a while. As long as the principle is sound.
But I continue to say that this principle can't work.

Quote:
Hasn't this always been a possible problem?
Maybe, but the more data you fit in, the more likely the problems will come !

Quote:
By the way, what do you think of this 2x2 down scale idea?
Looks good, even though it might have looked better with a few comments saying what things are ;-)
Now you just have to do that for 8 bpp and less, and you'll have everything you need.

Page generated in 0.06814 seconds with 11 queries