View Single Post
Old 08 December 2008, 14:18   #57
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Yes, man, this is Life. But without any living entity, there is nothing and there cannot be anything.
You got that right!
Quote:
I had two 1083S and they didn't exactly sound the same, so I can't tell.
I've only used those monitors internal sound when I didn't have an amp with speakers, so I have little experience with them.
Quote:
Money again, yeah. Decadent capitalism
Yup, I've got a low paid job. I've got little money for extras. It's simple outside work, which is completely stress-less and the hours are good, so I guess the disadvantage actually has an advantage!
Quote:
I don't think things under 50 hz are even hearable at all, but if they are, are they anything but parasites ?
Maybe we just need to go back to vinyl ;-)
Frequencys below 50 hertz can be heard properly. The human hearing reange is 20 to 20000 hertz As humans get older, their upper frequency bound reduces. Mine at age 32 is 16000 hertz. The lower bound doesn't seem to change.

As for vinyl, this has other problems. With digital storage media, one can simply increase the sample rate and the number of stored bits. With dvds this means a significant increase in audio quality.
Quote:
Are they apps that need a lot of cpu power ?
Sometimes. But I've noticed that the whole system becomes stuttery when the cpu is hogged by an application. That's why I'm sticking to wav.
Quote:
Good thing. Now perhaps that mpega library needs to be worked on again...
That might not be a bad idea. 70ns really sucks
Quote:
Of course they sound good, but you have nothing else to compare (apart memory, ok ).
Yes, I do. 16Bit 44khz music on the peecee
Quote:
Yes. Maybe this deserves a punishment, but I won't. (you're too far away )
Oh, come on, the Netherlands are practically around the corner
Quote:
And now ? How does it sound, what does it say when playing ?
14bit and 14bit calibrated sound the same. At verbosity level 1 it says:
Code:
Filetype is RIFF-WAVE.

Number of tracks	:2
Bits per sample	:16
Compression		:none
Total playback time	:77:48
Recording frequnecy	:24000

Half playback rate	:off
Playback device	:Amiga
This output is the same for both paula14 and paula14c options.
Quote:
Certainly. That whole lot of jpegs was the main reason I needed to write my picture viewer !
I can understand why! What kind of pictures are they, by the way?
Quote:
Not all the backups if your hd is full enough ! Of my 20 gigs, perhaps 3 are still free...
However, on a floppy you can write things. On a CD everything's fixed.
Wow, what do you have on your hd that only three gigs are still free?
Quote:
Are you sure it's really beer ? Maybe you need to stop with those nice smelling herbs too
Yes, I am. I used to drink a whole case a day regularly years ago. This is sure to have caused some damage
Quote:
Well, good game graphics aren't required to just start a project, readable graphics are enough (that is, perhaps not cute, but understandable ; you can't admire but you clearly see what it is).
That's true. No need for fancy graphics without any code to make'm do anything.
Quote:
I like Ultima-style, not Ultima itself but games with a similar system and a dungeon view, such as Ambermoon (I'm currently playing Dragonflight).
So do I. The graphics from the Fire Emblem series are similar, but much better than the old Ultimas. Great game, too, Fire Emblem.
Quote:
I dream of making one huge game, with many locations, many dungeons, many monsters, many objects, many characters... <sigh>
So do I I want an rpg world that's the size of a whole planet!
Quote:
Swap a cute girl with a man ? No way !
I meant to swap Torham out, and your favorite character in! Requires some hacking, but should be possible.
Quote:
If you got fed up with some, then perhaps they're not that good :-)
I get fed up with the best games when I play them too long, and have to leave them alone for a while. This is one of the reasons I haven't been playing Dungeon Master recently. It's one of my favorite games, though!
Quote:
May be it could have saved me some time and effort, but the delay just seemed too long.
The png decoding was actually done quite fast, but you didn't ask. Oh noes! It's 'only' the inflate part that has been delayed!
Quote:
It's not as simple as it ought to, especially when that progressive stuff comes into play (yeah I support it).
I actually thought the decoding parts weren't too hard to do.
Quote:
What's needed now is testing, with all possible formats. Do you have various PNGs for that ?
I've tried using IrfanView to convert to various different settings, but it can't seem to output progressive pngs or uncompressed pngs. Alpha channel shouldn't be a problem, and there should be some programs for the peecee that can output all relevant formats. I'll see if I can find some.
Quote:
I can't say everything sucked, but nothing was at level with the miggy.
Hehe, 68k really does spoil the programmer, doesn't it
Quote:
But perhaps some programs will need to be run separately from AsmOne one day...
My simple viewer already does. I just haven't needed output messages yet. I know I will though, and it's easy to implement.
Quote:
You can understand math notation without understanding too much of what it means... Anyway there aren't many notations in the spec. It just speaks about things such as hybrid filter without explaining what they are.
Yuk
Quote:
If you want to try that, be warned : bits that follow a symbol depend on that symbol (can be a size, a distance, another symbol or just be meaningless because it was the last symbol).
Yes, and it means the table has to have multiple entries that have the same output, so that incomplete codes are ignored.
Quote:
"Portable" is meaningless nowadays. It just means something can work on PC, PC and PC.
That's not completely true. If you write a high level program in c on the peecee, and compile it on the Amiga, then it simply works if only standard libs are used. I've already tried it with a c based system frame for memory and file handling. Same goes for the programs I've written to convert different Japanese dictionaries to a format usable by my Japanes Dictionary program in VisualBasic Express. All this stuff is 100% portable (between peecee and Amiga).
Quote:
Moreover, operating systems aren't portable by essence. If you want to make a portable os, you'll be limited to what's common between architectures.
The low level parts aren't. An os still contains quite a few high level parts, and I suspect many to be reusable.
Quote:
But other programs eat a lot. Say, things like MUI ?
I must admit that I don't use a lot of mui software. A few prefs programs. That's it.
Quote:
Probably not poorer than Hippo :-)
Hippo actually plays back fine. Because I don't have many exotic formats, I think I'll stick with Hippo for a little while longer. I only really play wavs, mods and sids.
Quote:
But it is unequaled when playing, say, 30-voc XM.
Right! But I don't have any
Quote:
For making the gui look better, maybe but I don't need it. I like my ugly WB .
For the assigns, I just refuse to do that. My system isn't overloaded with all those per-application assigns ; for (the stupid) apps that need some, I just add an assign script or rely on the AssignWedge patch, so those asns are
temporary.
My system isn't either. I always make scripts for app assigns. Only permanent assigns, such as the system assigns and mui are hndled by mcp.
Quote:
I don't like MUI because it uses lots of memory and I suspect it of crashing sometimes.
I've never seen it crash. Then again I don't have a lot of mui apps.
Quote:
You're speaking about quality and it means all. We live in a world today that's based on quantity, not quality.
That really sucks At least we can always write our own software
Quote:
I did a few times, and was told by managers to talk otherwise.
Those fools, d'oh
Quote:
It isn't that I refuse to use it, but for some people oo just seems to be mandatory and everything else sucks. Now that is what I really dislike.
Same here. I love oop, but it's not needed all the time. To much oop is poo
Quote:
Maybe this challenge is less amusing now... They promised 20 ghz for 2005 and what do we have ?
It may just take longer than expected.
Quote:
Oh, they're certainly very close. But they can only handle 7 bits (well, qbits, ok) and perform one single computation before dying.
It's going to take a while. As long as the principle is sound.
Quote:
Nowadays, already, there are some memory chips which may unexpectedly lose bits because of solar rays / ambient radioactivity / whatever.
Hasn't this always been a possible problem?

By the way, what do you think of this 2x2 down scale idea?
Code:
	move.l	#%00000000111111001111110011111100,d7
.loop
	move.l	(a0),d2
	addq.l	#3,a0
	and.l	d7,d2

move.l	(a0),d3
	addq.l	#3,a0
	and.l	d7,d3
	add.l	d3,d2

move.l	(a1),d3
	addq.l	#3,a1
	and.l	d7,d3
	add.l	d3,d2

move.l	(a1),d3
	addq.l	#3,a1
	and.l	d7,d3
	add.l	d3,d2

lsl.l	#6,d2
	move.l	d2,(a2)
	addq.l	#3,a2

dbra	d6,.loop

Last edited by Thorham; 08 December 2008 at 16:33.

Page generated in 0.05244 seconds with 11 queries