View Single Post
Old 24 November 2008, 13:17   #53
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Maybe they're not smart, ok. And so ? Is being smart a necessity in life ? What is being smart anyway ?
The point was optimization, and how brain size isn't directly linked to inteligence, showing evolution doesn't just produce optimal results all the time, thus there being room for improvement.
Quote:
I think some 060 need it, while others don't. But anyway it doesn't correctly fit in the A1200 (too high).
It doesn't fit right? I've seen those Blizzard 1260s and they look like they fit.
Quote:
What I was saying is that machines don't evolve by themselves.
Moreover, life's pace of improvement isn't that slow. It can adapt quite quickly : see the viruses which become resistant to antibiotics, see the incredible wild life that appeared at Tchernobyl (they've never seen boars so big !).
Yes, but where is it going? This sort of thing can go on and on without actually going anywhere interesting.
Quote:
I'm not sure 1084 monitors have stereo sound. Anyway my 1083S is good enough for me.
Isn't the 1084s supposed to be the stereo version?
Quote:
What did you compare to actually prove which one sounds better ? If it's not the same music with the same replay freq (and maybe the same machine) then it's not fair !
I didn't compare directly. It's just from memory
Quote:
Isn't that moment starting to be a little bit long ?
A bloody week would've been too long
Quote:
Quite good, but not high quality. CDs aren't perfect either.
However when I play an MP3 on my miggy I usually can't tell if that's the mp3 or a pre-decoded wave.
CDs could be better if they just increased sampling rate and nr of bits per sample. But the space on a CD is limited. I've also heard they filter the music that goes on CDs on purpose About mp3 decoding; it uses up to much cpu time to use it while doing other things.
Quote:
And it was long ago. Doesn't miss me a lot anyway.
I would certainly miss it. Music sounds richer from a stereo system.
Quote:
For trance? I don't think so. Synthesizer doesn't need that much quality.
Still, I like to keep music sounding as clean as possible.
Quote:
BTW did you calibrate your 14 bit output ? If yes, did you change your HippoPlayer settings after that ? Did you actually hear the difference ?
Yes, I did. Didn't notice much of an improvement, though.
Quote:
So you don't need a particular viewer then. And can't adpro directly load jpegs ?
Adpro is too slow, especially for jpegs That little viewer I'm working on is very fast for bmps, and since I have 2+ gigs of them, speed is important. When I find a nice image, I use Adpro for producing a high quality iff from the image.
Quote:
You don't need a CD for that. Or it will be 99% empty
You can have a whole working system on a CD. Booting from one beats floppies. The cf card route is probably the best way to go, though.
Quote:
Yes, I really want to know if my memory is able to eat such an information () or if you indeed didn't tell that to me.
Perhaps I didn't I'll have a look anyway.
Quote:
I've seen no program which does that, just tricks to see the end sequence by renaming files.
About the program I use, I made it and didn't release so you certainly can't have seen it ;-)
I remember there being a way to play the animation, I just can't remember what is was.
Quote:
DM/CSB/DM2 graphics are easy for me to get, perhaps I could do something with them, but I'd prefer new graphics.
New graphics are always better. So, how are your drawing skills?
Quote:
But, mate, I can't live without my dear Het !
What's so cool about her?
Quote:
I've read that if you press space twice you can actually duplicate a character. Also, some DM versions (e.g. v3.6) allow you to go through walls under some conditions. But you don't want to try this, ok
Most certainly not.
Quote:
You already know the answer to that ;-)
But I just meant you don't need to pay to get flooded by lots of games you have no time to play.
They're just games I've bought over the years since I got my peecee.
Quote:
Strangely I didn't regret looking in a solution. Especially when I discovered I would never have been able to find the clue myself !
For Amberstar it's even worse, because a bug inverted two riddle answers...
I can see how that would require a solution.
Quote:
Ahem... Huffman decoding is done. Not that complex after all. If you're speaking about Paeth stuff and so, I have done it already too.
However, PNGs encoded with all possible settings would be handy, e.g. 16-bit sampled ones, grayscale, progressive, alpha channel, and nasty combinations of these.
Hey, I was still going to do it. I had a lot of trouble figuring out a very fast method though, and have been putting it off. However, I have been working on the PNG part, which is actually almost finished. The thing it needs most right now is testing. You should have asked me about this, because my PNG code does the things you would like to see.
Quote:
Yes, please try. Coding a lot on peecees will make you understand a few things about them.
Must admit I haven't programmed peecees a lot.
Quote:
May be dangerous if A5 gets trashed !
And I wonder what the "exit" label points to. When an error occurs you still need to display some message explaining it, not just exiting ?
A5 trashing wouldn't be good, no. Currently, no messages are displayed, because I'm working from within AsmOne. All the routines in the frame currently always return the same error values, for messages, that would have to change.
Quote:
Yes. But if they explain and you haven't enough math knowledge to fully understand, it's the same as if they didn't explain.
How hard can that math business be anyway? It's probably just the notation.
Quote:
And guess where it has been put ? Right in the png's bit reader !
Thought so
Quote:
Still, c++ will be 2-4 times slower than asm, not because of the compiler (which does what it can), but because of its mere architecture.
Program are bloated for various reasons. One may be the limits of the programming language.
Not a very well designed language, if it causes bloat.
Quote:
Maybe, but fastmem isn't a real problem (for a viewer) even if you're short of it. Chipmem is.
Isn't it always
Quote:
There are also lots of extensions for it (e.g. more supported formats), that you may wish to look at.
Sounds good
Quote:
MultiCX (small, easy to start/stop - and no mui for config !).
Also, SetPatch 40.14, and... err... a little rom patch I wrote myself ;-)
You're telling me about MCX? Used to use that program until I switched to MCP And what's wrong with mui?
Quote:
Because object-oriented code isn't maintainable. If you've ever worked as a professionnal programmer needing to add something in a hurry (as I did), then you'll see what I mean.
When programming, in a hurry shouldn't exist. It's such a shame that they screw up these simple things in professional environments. Maintainable? What's maintainable? A one million line source code? People still have to learn the meaning of the word.
Quote:
There are limits anyway. Perhaps you should know that you can't give an important information to a single particle, which is subject to disintegrate without warning. Speed of light can be a problem, too...
For now it seems to be the frequency of lasers used to carve the circuitry.
But who knows how much the circuitry itself can bee improved. Also, what's going to be invented in the next 50 years? No one knows.

Last edited by Thorham; 24 November 2008 at 21:46. Reason: typo

Page generated in 0.06508 seconds with 11 queries