View Single Post
Old 06 November 2008, 08:46   #49
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Did you actually ask elephants if they were able to think or not ? Same for chimps ?
No, I haven't, but they have been tested for intelligence, and the results suggest that elephants lack the chimps logic capability.

Quote:
I will tell you.

If you speed-test, #2 will be quicker on your 030. But #1 is quicker on 040 - not to mention it's less instructions.
There are other examples.
I've actually read that recently. Something about minimizing the number of instructions on '60s. Pity I don't have one.

Quote:
This says that no solution is the absolute best, it's just more adapted to some situations.
Yes, but does it mean that evolution will always come up with the best adaptations, or just ones that are good enough?

Quote:
Beware of Hopkins-Brie syndrom anyway
I don't think that's going to be a problem

Quote:
A good old CBM monitor is much better than those - cheap or not - stupid PC multi media speakers !
I've recently installed some of those speakers, with sub-woofer, on my moms peecee, and if you're saying that the simple CBM monitor speaker is better than that installed speaker set, then I'm going to

Quote:
You certainly hear sound quality flaws, but is that a good thing ? Personnally I do not want to hear them
Yes, actually. It means that you get to hear more. In other words, if you have very high quality sound files, then those will actually take advantage of your system.

Quote:
In the past I tried a good stereo system, with seven-band equalizer I fine tuned for that use. So I know what quality means
Cool, but why aren't you using it any more? I hope it didn't break

Quote:
From 24 to 22 you won't hear much difference, especially because the original freq is an integer multiple of it (might even be better if down-sampling didn't use a very good algorithm).
But there should be a difference between 24 and 28, right?

Quote:
But why performing this conversion ? Just for display speed ?
Yes, just for that. Using irfanview on my peecee, the whole conversion process was done quite quickly for so many files. Seemed to be worth it. Also, with a large hd, using bmps on the Amiga is more convenient than jpeg, especially if you're loading them into adpro.

Quote:
If you have ks 3.0 in rom, yes. Or it might depend on the type of cd drive that's plugged in, I dunno. I never needed to boot from cd anyway.
I don't know, either. It's not a big problem. It would just be cool to be able to boot cds from cold start.

Quote:
I use CF instead of floppies. Silent, faster, more data on them, more reliable, not to mention my floppy drive is out of order...
That's something I'm going to have to consider using myself, because it sounds good.

Quote:
A thread I didn't read, I suppose.
I'm almost sure I did tell you.

Quote:
So you saw him turned into a worm at least once. This called for a sequel but there was none
I vaguely remember something like that. But it's been a long time since I finished the game, so don't blame me. And a sequal might have been nice.

Quote:
That's what I did a few times
The real mans method

Quote:
Is stealing objects from other champions allowed in the challenge ?
Isn't that only possible because of a bug? Anyway, it doesn't matter. I don't think it will make it easier.

Quote:
You paid cash for pc games ???
Oh yes! Quality games such as Warcraft 2, Starcraft, Diablo 2, and a bunch of others. Those games are worth the money, and weren't actually that expensive when I bought them. Warcraft 2 with expansion for six euros anyone?

Quote:
Even when you're blocked ?
Yes, even then. I always regret reading solutions just because I'm stuck. I really don't like doing it, and have therefore stopped doing it.

Quote:
That's a shame.
It's not too bad. It gets the rent paid, and I certainly don't have to go hungry. That's more then a lot of people have, so it's ok for a while.

Quote:
So you like the games, not the pc
You could put it like that.

Quote:
Quick and ugly renderer is not in the urgent todo list.
Best for me would be pre-loading of next pics while displaying one.
May I suggest that you do implement scaling for larger than screen images? Two advantages: 1. Less chipmem needed to show the image. 2. Faster ham rendering.

Have you considered using 4x1 ham to display 320x256 images? No ham rendering algorithm can beat 4x1 ham for 320x256!

Page generated in 0.05129 seconds with 11 queries