View Single Post
Old 17 October 2008, 10:26   #45
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Maybe not. But if you throw a die, let alone several millions of them at once, even if you know physics you won't predict the result.
Ok, in this case you'd have to know all parameters, making it practically impossible.

Quote:
Be less talkative next time, eh eh.
Yeah, right

Quote:
I didn't say the brain can handle that many, but to simulate it you'll have to do that.
About the tasks it performs, consider the simple fact of a face recognition.
Or what "different perspective" has to be looked at ?
But these are simply problems witch are not well understood, and therefore hard to implement. It doesn't mean it can't be done algorithmically.

Quote:
Nope. Don't agree. The brain is more than a logical information processor. It handles a quasi-infinite different number of levels per input per neuron, where the computer only has 0 or 1.
The brain is thus an analog information processor, while a computer is a discrete one.

Quote:
That list just shows that Neanderthal might have been more intelligent than we are !
Well, elephants have larger brains than humans, and are not capable of real thought, while chimps, witch have a smaller brain than us are capable of real logical thought. In nature, brain size is not everything.

Quote:
Consider those two pieces of code and tell me which one is the best :
Code:
 add.l var,d1
 add.l var,d2
Code:
 move.l var,d0
 add.l d0,d1
 add.l d0,d2
I have no idea what so ever. I've actually written a simple speed test program, but I didn't want to cheat. I'll have a look at it anyway, but if you want to tell me, please do so

Quote:
Please stop playing BloodNet at once !
It's a pitty, but I'm not playing BloodNet at the moment. I really have to get away from those peecee games (now it's Kohan: Battles of Ahriman)

Quote:
Anyway with a monitor's loudspeakers you won't hear much difference...
Monitor speakers Doh meynaf! Go buy a simple multi media speaker set right now, or I'm coming over to France to [CENSORED] Anyway, my miggy is hooked up to my stereo system. You can here every sound quality flaw on these, of course. But seriously, do yourself a big favor, and buy some simple speakers with amp. Just don't buy the simplest ones. They will make a huge difference

Quote:
Once again I ask : what settings ??? You can tweak a lot with mpegaplayer.
Might depend on what sort of music, too. Hard rock needs less quality than a sweet feminine voice
The music I listen to, usually contains heavy synthesizer elements (Trance), and that kind of music needs all the quality you can throw at it. At 24khz/16bit stereo played back in 14bit on Amiga, you can hear that two bits have been chopped off, and you can hear it's 24khz and not 44khz. Not that it sounds bad, but reduce the quality any more and it starts to get annoying, unfortunately.

Quote:
And for flac, don't expect any cpu time savings. It's usually as costly as mpeg audio.
For waves, ok. If exhausting your HD is no problem. Maybe it's because of that you like prepping them in UAE. Ok now I've understood :-)
Indeed. I recently downloaded 650mb of jpeg pictures witch I converted using IrfanView. That resulted in 2+gig of 24bit bmps (now you know where they came from). So I simply popped the hd into the peecee. Yup, those peecees are good for something other than games after all

Quote:
You only need to load it from disk if you don't have it installed in chips.
Else how would a CD32 boot ???
Really? I could've sworn I read on the board that ks3.1 needs a patch to boot from cd...

Quote:
Bah, I don't prep HD's all the time. For backups CF cards are good to me, they don't need to unplug the HD from the miggy. Not to mention they're sooooo silent :-)
Yeah, CF is cool. I actually don't prep'm all the time, either. Would be a good idea to just use CF instead of floppies, actually.

Quote:
Oh you didn't say that to me !
Actually, I think I did in some other thread!

Quote:
This requires a lot of care even with 4 characters ; I did it twice or more.
But you probably killed old Dragoth a few dozens of times too, eh ?
No, I haven't. Only time I've killed him, was the first time I played the game seriously. The whole challenge thing is simply based on the fact that the rest of the game isn't very hard. Try it yourself, and see what I mean.

Quote:
I also end up very rich (not as much as in Captive, okay).
But I would hate to buy dozens of empty flasks just to defeat the boss.
You could just hack the guy to death

Quote:
Tada, I finally found something you didn't know ! :-)
Here are the answers :

1. Just throw over the pit the little bone you've found, to the place the coins lie, and the wolves will fetch it (just don't stand between them and the pit). By the time they'll also take the coins, and, yes, bring them to you !

2. Use a minion map. As long as the minion is on the same cell as you are, you'll never get caught.
Didn't know the second one. The first, I do know, actually. But throwing the bones is not allowed in the challenge, as it's Ninja skill.

Quote:
Certainly. Current dungeon has more than 1400 of them now :-)
Yet I would love getting more feedback from you.
I understand. I'm quite rusty, though, because I haven't been playing Amiga games lately. I'm still busy with peecee games. Terrible, I know, but I've got a whole stack of cool peecee games I haven't really played in a serious manner, but witch I did pay cash for. Not a lot of cash, but still. I'll try to give it priority.

Quote:
Well, thanks again
You're welcome

Quote:
How come ? You got fed up ? Or was it just too hard for you ?
See above.

Quote:
I won't. You'll have to BEG for hints :-)
I won't, mate! I hate spoilers.

Quote:
Come on, it's not that costly !
I'm strapped for cash at the moment. As usual. Living on a low income at the moment...

Quote:
Oh yeah ? I still can't understand why some people can be attached to a peecee :-)
It's the games!

Quote:
You sure I shouldn't ? Oh, well, yes, ok..
Thank you

Quote:
Fast, yes. But ugly. (sorry)
Yes, 12bit is quite ugly. It's just an addition to save some chipmem. 18Bit looks much better. Also, I've finally optimized the c2p to give me 12 frames for 8bit to 6bit c2p (1280x512). If I were you, I'd consider adding the 3x1 pixel method as an option. It's a lot faster than 1x1 ham rendering in even the lowest quality, let alone good quality.

Page generated in 0.05634 seconds with 11 queries