View Single Post
Old 07 July 2008, 08:16   #14
gemanix

My family have been into computers ever since I can remember. Programming fascinated me from an early age. I remember writing my first basic program when I was 8 on the ZX Spectrum.

I had an Amiga 500 when I turned 11 years old, and immediately entered the warez scene, which in Whangarei, NZ was very active.
I really loved the many options for creativity. Deluxe Paint, SoundTracker, all of the games, BBSs!
I took a shining to SoundTracker (not that I was any good), but I loved compiling ST-00 disks, and ripping modules from games. It was the ripping that really got me buzzing. Used AudioMaster for playing memory and identifying the very distinct sound modules made when played as binary.
I had older friends, so by the time I was 14 they were learning programming at college. I was a very eager student and they gave their time to teaching me the ways of MC68000 and the Amiga's chips. I remember struggling to understand the purpose of registers and the distinction between address and data registers.
I'm really grateful to them because they were very tolerant of me. Hydsie, Phaedrus, Fuzzy. They were my Mentors, but also my competition. I was determined to know what they knew.
I had a few books, Abacus, and another on Amiga hardware (photocopied). They were a good reference. I also liked the scene disk magazines, like Grapevine and "The Source"

I cant remember what I first used as an Assembler. I know it wasn't Seka, cause that was a bitch to use. My memory escapes me there, but I did settle on AsmOne later on.
My first development was a mouse clicker for the LED light.
After that, some simple copper effects.
Leading on to displaying a picture (iff to raw converted).
Then the modulo effect that made it look like it was being drawn by lasers. Then including a Soundtracker module. Then a 16x16 font text displayer. By then I was learning about disassembly. Taking apart other people's intros to learn best practise. You'll see some of those that I disassembled in the zip.
I loved watching demos. Kefrens, Crystal, Scoopex, Reality, Melon, etc.. Whenever I saw an effect, I needed to know how it worked, and reproduce it.

I guess when I find something I like, I need to know, and I'm almost obsessive about finding out how.

Page generated in 0.04261 seconds with 11 queries