View Single Post
Old 12 March 2018, 20:18   #15
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
The opposite is true. The boot partition gains most from SFS or PFS. With PFS the boot process feels like three times faster than with FFS, especially on slow machines.
Very true.
My gaming setup consists of an 8GB CF with 4 partitions:
* Boot partition: PFS3AIO
* 3 data partitions with games, demos and music: FFS, locked to be read-only

Why read-only? The biggest damn pain on FFS is accidental reset while accessing the drive causing those damn validation errors and lengthy validation processes... If you lock it, you can't ruin it. This way the system is very stable and the PFS3AIO boot partition boots really fast on my "slow" system.
Unlike what is said above, I always found that it's too easy to shove a drive into the validation process. An HD-installed game that crashes can do it.
If you need to write to any of those partitions it's as easy as typing a shell command so there's no loss.

I never had a problem with PFS3 until recently when a well-documented bug ate all of my data in one partition. That bug has since been squashed.
FFS has always seemed to me as very unreliable and quite slow on when you have lots of files, but for my use and the way I have it set up, it works just fine.

Page generated in 0.19199 seconds with 11 queries