View Single Post
Old 10 May 2015, 11:09   #23
TMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
If it's all about love, why old amiga game developers (hundreds of them) which have the knowledge don't make a game every now and then just for fun? I don't think they hate the Amiga but it needs considerable time maybe a year or so and a team of 3 persons to make a quality game.
That's something you'd have to ask them directly but i'd suspect that the commercial programmers don't do it for commercial reasons - if you look at it from that perspective it is, as Shatterhand said, hard to justify the time especially if their day job still involves writing code. But for the main part at least, the people doing 8-bit games now aren't the coders who were doing it commercially in the 1980s either, they were the ones playing games who have either gone on to learn the skills required or had some of them already from writing demos.

Personally, i've always seen it as a hobby like fishing, playing games or restoring an old vehicle, you put time, effort and often money into it but don't expect anything back apart from enjoyment of the challenges involved and the more occasional sense of achievement when something is finished. You don't really have to justify the time with hobbies because they're more about letting off steam (especially if said hobby involves old trains... sorry, couldn't resist) than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Amiga graphics (with arcade resolution, 4096 colors, copper, sprites, plus various tricks) are not programmers graphics and require a lot of planning and some chips to control to get things going.
That's equally true with the 8-bit systems, working within their restrictions require lots of planning and a good control of the chips, but the Amiga has the option of high level languages which make those jobs easier where the 8-bits don't.

Page generated in 0.04567 seconds with 11 queries