View Single Post
Old 06 April 2012, 14:34   #401
carls

Quote:
Originally Posted by dir_marillion View Post
The Atari ST family was great because:

a. it had 640*400 resolution at 72KHz in 1985

b. it had Calamus

c. it had Cubase and two build-in midi ports.

d. it had millions of text editors with "truetype fonts knowledge"

e. it had great databases since the first day. There are still many databases under development today, for Atari. Check for instance the Hisoft's TWIST.

f. all models had great design in difference with Amiga early models that were ugly

g. Atari ST was the first 16bit system that had Macintosh emulation (under macos system 6), in 1986-87.

and final h. it can handle X-Windows on Debian with the Build-In Graphic Card. AGA and ECS cannot :-)

I like Amiga like you !! Atari people is just like you :-)
a) Amiga ECS could do 640x400 in 72Hz and 4 colours, but yes, the Atari was first
b, c, d) Yes. The Atari had some nice Office-type applications and was a true MIDI workhorse. But then again, the Amiga had Scala, Lightwave, TV Paint and the Toaster. They were just good at different things.
e) Actually, TWIST was released for the Amiga, too.
f) Atari TT better-looking than the Amiga 3000? Now you're just plain wrong :-)
g) A-Max did the same on Amiga just a couple of years later.
h) On the other hand, the Amiga had its own official Unix long before TT/X and Linux m68k existed

The Atari wasn't a bad computer, I actually considered getting a Falcon 030 instead of an A1200 when it was released. Unfortunately, it was too expensive and couldn't use any of the software or peripherals I had already gotten for my A500+.

I also feel that the Atari demo scene of today is a bit more diversified and fun compared to the Amiga scene. On Amiga it's so much about 68060 chunky-to-planar demos that the copper and blitter are almost completely forgotten.

Page generated in 0.26304 seconds with 11 queries