View Single Post
Old 26 June 2010, 23:08   #10
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLowar View Post
Well, the new Visual Studio comes with a fully supported functional language for the .NET framework.
It does indeed, yet it's still both for a reason Not saying that functional coding doesn't have a purpose or future, just that it's not the way to go (or that the industry will) in my opinion. F# surely has it's advantages over strict C# or Java OO concepts, but that's same as C++ worked for quite a while now.

Quote:
In enterprise applications, you often have many many more layers of abstraction. The framework (e.g. Enterprise JavaBeans) manages the entire life cycle of objects (including their dependencies) and also how they are called. This allows the framework to deal with various cross-cutting concerns (e.g. security) in a similar way as Aspect Oriented Programming. I'm not aware of AOP itself actually being widely used at all.
Hence 'might be'. I really think some of the aspects deal with problems that 'pure' OO has quite nicely. Let's see where they head next.

Quote:
The reason functional programming is so popular in research is that due to the absence of side effects (and yes, an ideal purely functional language allows no side effects at all) it is possible to do a lot of static checking, which in effect makes it less error prone. That's not to say I personally think a purely functional style is useful for every application.
Seems like I'm thinking about different side effects then

Page generated in 0.04167 seconds with 11 queries