View Single Post
Old 07 July 2014, 05:23   #13
Mark Wright

I hope by now that everyone's downloaded this and listened to their fave tune on headphones. It's late on Sunday night and I'm in my element here, marvelling at the "one size fits all" mastering alchemy behind this collection. Inevitably, there are some disappointing "song on the left, drums on the right" outcomes, but this magical processing technique also shines a light on the hard-working composers who turned Paula's infamously hard-stereo output to their advantage.

I'm only moved to write this as Paul Van Der Valk's Dejfam tune ("Animate", fact fans) and Sir Obarski's Sleepwalk have just made me jump out my skin and look behind me, such are the pleasingly virbrant spatial artefacts, only now exposed to their full potential.

Of course the bad news for archival purposes - and professional audio engineers like me would have a fit of kittens over this - is that the lack of anything in the centre of the mix renders everything inaudible to mono listeners, if any. It's an unavoidable trade-off due to the anti-phase magic that brings them alive in the first place (look it up.) They'll also serve as very poor examples of Amiga music should the world explode tomorrow. Personally, I'm enjoying the effect enough to overlook the faux-pas, but it's a heinous crime among the screwdriver-wielding bearded.

So maybe spend ages doing them all again, but add a mono image at about 25% in the mix, just so it's there? ;-)

@Simmo76, thanks for the compliment but, compared to this collection, my (albeit pioneering) method can be compared to the brute-force use of a sledgehammer to crack a peanut.

Last edited by Mark Wright; 07 July 2014 at 05:47.

Page generated in 0.09350 seconds with 11 queries