Thread: AmiGameDev Poll
View Single Post
Old 11 November 2018, 22:44   #12
Epo
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Hmm, no...

I'd say it's easier off course to make a game for an expanded Amiga, where you don't need to count every byte and cycle to get something done. Have a look at those Backbone games for instance.
Agree but only if the coder is a lazy coder. It's very tempting to be satisfied with something that works OK on a 020@28MHz, 030@50MHz or even higher, leaving behind a significant group of slower CPUs active owners. And that's something that Amiga coders should avoid (in my opinion). This computer has beautiful hardware and we should try the best to show it off. No matter what configuration we program on the best possible optimization should be always the goal. This is what distinguished old master programmers and what we should take as an example to follow. As to the counting every byte and cycle... You should see my face when I managed to free 4.9kB after optimization - pure madness and pure joy

Quote:
The point is, though:
It's a lot more difficult to make a game, that instead of just making your life as a coder more easy really takes a noticable advantage of these expansions.
Again agree. But I think that's the point: to always try to reach the next level and achieve the best possible . Some will never care, some will only try and only a few will get there. That's the beauty of programming on old computers

@Backbone productions. I don't like them personally. However I totally understand people who do not know programming and this is the only option for them. They desire to create and they do the best possible in these circumstances. Unfortunately for us all there is no decent game editor. Maye it will change some day but until then, well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka
Both options, as long as game is good
Couldn't agree more

Page generated in 0.10754 seconds with 11 queries