View Single Post
Old 01 September 2017, 21:08   #222
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I still don't get why you have an ethernet cable, can't you just wire this to the serial port and have a SLIP connection? It would save you a lot of cable fuckery and headaches.
Ok, let me explain it for you then...

Serial port, 57600 baud to be reliable, 5-6k/sec, CPU drain.
Ethernet, 100Mbit/sec, more than 500k/sec, no CPU drain.

See??!

The simple serial line between Amiga serial port and the Pi is so I have console access to the pi, in case I want to reinstall it from scratch, debug the kernel or whatever.

Quote:
If I understood right, you are connecting them through a NIC. So you need an Amiga NIC (not the easiest/cheapest thing to find and run, I never managed to get a PCMCIA card working).
Of course, PCMCIA, or in this case, the SDIO slot of the Vampire V600-V2.

I cannot believe you never got PCMCIA ethernet card to work, that is like the simplest Amiga networking option ever - way easier than messing with SLIP!

Quote:
If you do serial the GPIO to serial module is really cheap and widely available and you canwire it straight to the AMIga.
Not directly, no. You need MAX3232 chip to do leveling, the Amiga runs at 5V, the Raspberry pi at 3.3V. Well, the MAX3232 chip you see there on the wire is the "GPIO to serial module" you speak of.

Page generated in 0.07492 seconds with 11 queries