Thread: CD32 Laser
View Single Post
Old 10 April 2007, 01:37   #5
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
At the end of the day, the CD32 is a standard Audio Mechanism, using a SONY KSS-210 A or B, it will never read CD-RW's as they need closing. They are priced at around £7 now and are disappearing as hardly anything uses them anymore.

Turning the laser power pot down (anti-clockwise) should'nt have the effect of making it read better, as when a laser goes low emission it normally needs turning up (clockwise).

Well thats how it is in my experience, and I have been working on mech's for the last 10 years.

Some other tips, that will help. The spindle and sled motors can go faulty, thats another common problem i come across. To help stop this happening, is to spray a little WD40 into the motors, then let it run for a few mins.

I can safely say, i have burnt disc's for my CD32 at high speeds and they all work fine. That might be cause I replaced the laser and corrected a mistake commodore made on the circuit board, where 2 capacitors are in the wrong way round (seen this on every CD32 I have opened so far), just after aquiring it.

Page generated in 0.06512 seconds with 11 queries