View Single Post
Old 11 January 2021, 04:12   #40
Doctor Clu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I did get past it way back when... I guess the solution was printed in a magazine.

That is how I played the later levels of Zool 2 on the Jaguar. I know with a LOT of gameplay I could get through the whole thing with the original set of lives, but right now I am dying by the second world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum8 View Post
I wonder how easy it would be to edit the backgrounds for the whdload version to do this.
Now that would be interesting to see. You play with whdload much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum8 View Post
It's pretty noticeable when there's a lot of things happening on screen: bullets flying everywhere, a couple of enemies on screen who are also shooting out stuff and you're jumping at the same time.

Sounds about right. I think the Jaguar (also 68000 based) runs into some of that. Not sure how much that version of Zool 2 used the other Jag processors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
Anyone played the console ports? How do they compare to the Amiga versions?
There was a video I watched called Battle of the ports that talks about first Zool game:

[ Show youtube player ]

So here are the notes I took from that:

Amiga - Uses full screen, no border. No need to collect all crap. Has a Space ship scene. Game is Long (and video through the game was crap, but he thinks all the ports are basically crap.)

CD32- Intro screen. Has the backgrounds (which he liked) Less slow down. Now has a jump button! Improved playability. No in game music still.

Acorn Archimedes - Couldn't get it to load past intro. Looked pretty good.

Atari ST -No background. Lacked parallax scrolling. No background music

MSDOS -Nice graphics. Sound options. Crappy controls. Good scrolling

Mega Drive - Cool intro. controls are better. Three action fire jump spin. Fire across entire stage. Good Graphics. Controls are still slippery. Stage design not much from original. Music good

Super Famicon. Larger enemy sprites. No introduction like Genesis.

Sega Master System. Moves smoothly. Now to collect 100% of items. Still ultra slippery controls.

Game Gear- Stage designs have changed. Still must collect 100%. with music

Gameboy -Gives the big platform experience, good considering platform.

Ultimate thoughts (from me from that video). --------------------------

I like the idea of not having to collect 99% of the items so that is appealing to me on everything before the Sega Master System release.

The Jaguar release which I know the best so far I think has the best of most of the improvements (and the last release), but has the 99% collect thing, and some thing the sprite looks squat and messed up. I like him but hey..

https://www.deviantart.com/josh366lo...ison-597970612

So what do you all think of the various ports you've played?

Page generated in 0.04468 seconds with 11 queries