View Single Post
Old 19 November 2018, 22:31   #163
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyren View Post
Perhaps it just a case of bad program structure
This program started as a text adventure kind of game, just that I wanted to add a GUI to it. That is the main window of the program, showing some short messages, navigation and a few other buttons, inventory and active objects.
And then I added some images to this, so that window is now more than 500 pixels wide. I was trying to make sure that the program could work on screens from 640x512 pixels, so to make room for the longer messages I do use additional windows.
Ah, I see. That's no problem, I was just confused about whether you were trying to treat a window differently because it just contained text.

Quote:
I am not on the limit, but I was thinking I would make the program run on as low requirements as possible, so then there could be setups where just a few kilobytes of free memory might do a difference. I want to compile one version (without images) on Blitz2, that should run on Workbench1.3 and up. But if its only a few bytes, it probably doesnt matter.
It might be worth experimenting with to see just how much RAM you save...

Quote:
A different matter: As discussed earlier, the executable size is reduced when compiling many times in a row, even when "Make smaller code" is selected.
In my case it starts at 784kb and after nine compiles is reduced to 636kb.
When Compiling, I usually use the keyboard combination Amiga+E, and Amiga+O to do this quickly.
But in the Compiler Menu, there is another selection, "Make minimized executable". If I use that, the executable will be dramaticly reduced, down to 450kb.
I wonder, is it just the time it takes to compile that is the downside of having the small executable, or is there another catch here?
Yep, the only downside I know of is the time it takes, as that option makes several passes at the compile, probably similar to you selecting Compile again and again.

Page generated in 0.04442 seconds with 11 queries