View Single Post
Old 15 August 2014, 09:14   #6
modrobert
old bearded fool

tygre,

I think the problem in this case is that your router accepts WiFi settings with AES involved which confuses the dated PCMCIA WiFi card during protocol handshake, you need WPA TKIP/PSK only ("WPA-Personnel" / TKIP), disable WPA2 and AES if possible. Your router also need to support 802.11b (11mbit WiFi).

For test purposes you can launch the prism2v2 driver manually from Amiga shell like this:

Code:
WirelessManager prism2.device VERBOSE
Then we will get some debug output to see what is going on when the WiFi card is connecting to the router.

The advantage of this specific PCMCIA WiFi card; PC24E-H-FC (aka Orinoco Silver) is that the WPA TKIP/PSK encryption is done on-the-fly in hardware, so you should try to use that combination in the router to offload your Amiga CPU.

There are some pitfalls worth mentioning:

* If you at any point tried to install AmiTCP it will (without notice) overwrite the prism2.device file with an older version making future attempts fail, if that happened to you then install the prism2v2 driver again (maybe a reinstall of EasyNet does that also, not sure).

* When you set a new "clear text" password the first time, the prism2v2 driver will calculate the PSK hex key, this takes long time (a minute or two), so be patient before starting to ping hosts. Second boot/load will be much quicker when the HEX key is already saved in the config file.

Here is my slightly obfuscated wireless.prefs file (using exactly the same model of WiFi card as OP).

Code:
network={
        ssid="myrouter"
        scan_ssid=1
        #psk="foofoo"
        psk=64f708a87be477f3c0689e7490d141b95126edf986e6fc1a1cf7f1bca5692600
}
Note how the WirelessManager (from the prism2v2 package) replaced the clear text password (psk="foofoo") with the actual PSK hex key automatically by commenting out the setting using '#'. If you want to try my config then make sure you remove the line with the long hexadecimal number and remove the comment '#' in front of the PSK clear text password setting.

Use this wireless.prefs if you want to try my settings:

Code:
network={
        ssid="myrouter"
        scan_ssid=1
        psk="foofoo"
}
I don't know how the EasyNet software deals with this "clear text to hex key conversion" in the prism2v2 driver, but maybe others can help with that.

Personally I use AmiTCP v3.02b2 to get more control rather than easy install. If you want to try there are some good instructions here, just remember the pitfall with the prism2.device file being overwritten, you need to reinstall the driver after installing AmiTCP.

Last edited by modrobert; 15 August 2014 at 10:07. Reason: spelling

Page generated in 0.06122 seconds with 11 queries